What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freaky Trap

Hi everyone,
One of my VFT's has produced this freaky trap sort of in the shape of a heart.
If I were to take a cutting using this leaf would the plant that it produces have traps as freaky as this one?
Will this trap function as a normal trap?
Has anyone seen traps like this before?
:scratch:
Can't wait for it to fully form and open,I've taken photo's at different stages and will add them to this thread once it has opened.
trap2.jpg

trap3.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how functional the trap will be but I'm certainly interested to see it fully formed...

:banana2:This is it from start to finish
trap1.jpg

trap2.jpg

trap3.jpg

trap4.jpg

trap5.jpg

trap6-1.jpg

trap7.jpg

trap8.jpg

trap9.jpg

Someone here had the same mutation... very interesting, though.

Well,test it to see if it works?

Wow very cool! There is another poster around who's VFT made a trap similar to that.

SO COOL.

Give it a few days as it's just opened and then I'll give it a meal.

AwesomeTrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why feed it? It will die sooner.. I like to keep my best traps unfed.

That's terrifying. :awesome:

Well today I decided to take a leaf pulling using this trap to see if I end up with anything unusual when it grows.
I was told that it would be UNLIKELY that it would grow traps like this but I need to try for myself as no one can be certain of this.
If anything I will end up with a young VFT so I haven't lost out and I still have my pics.

Have you tried tripping the trap? I'm just wondering if it closes as quickly as a normal trap or if it's sort of slow.

P1000576.jpg

P1000580.jpg

P1000587.jpg

Last edited:
Closed just as quickly as my other traps

Did that leaf pullin you took ever strike?

Yes I got a young plant from it but it's traps weren't deformed

Aww that sucks, but hey at least you got another VTF!

I'd guess that this is the same mutation that causes leaves to develop two individual traps on a single leaf, except this is more of a mutation of the mutation.
And time for my favorite quote for things like this...
:0o: "I've never seen anything like that before."

Last edited:
hmm... so I guess the mutation only effected the one trap. It would have been cool if the leaf pulling had the same traps.

Back