User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which place would be better to winter my VFT?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh how timely. I was just wondering about the same issue. I live in northeast philadelphia which is a zone 6B. It gets really windy and cold during winter, everything gets covered in thick sheet of Ice very often. Thus I dont think I could keep my VFT and Purpurea outside for dormancy.
    I was considering my windowsill but not sure if it will be cold enough.
    Maybe a basement at y parent's house ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its a windowsill in a room occupied by humans in the winter, then no, its not cold enough!

If its a room that people dont use at all in the winter, door is closed, heat to that room is turned off all winter, and its 40 to 50 degrees in that room..then ok..but that seldom happens..

basements are seldom cold enough either..unless its a very drafty poorly insulated basement..then maybe, but generally, no, not so good..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    If its a room that people dont use at all in the winter, door is closed, heat to that room is turned off all winter, and its 40 to 50 degrees in that room..then ok..but that seldom happens..
    If such a room existed... could the plants be left in there more-or-less all winter with no human inspection? (I'm a college student whose family doesn't care for my Sarracenia or venus flytraps and temperate sundews at all and wouldn't know what they're doing when they go to "check" them)
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    If such a room existed... could the plants be left in there more-or-less all winter with no human inspection? (I'm a college student whose family doesn't care for my Sarracenia or venus flytraps and temperate sundews at all and wouldn't know what they're doing when they go to "check" them)
    in theory yes..but if there is going to be no human intervention all winter, the room should ideally be very cold..(like 35 to 40 degrees) so that the plants will be *really* dormant and not growing at all..in which case they can be bagged up for dormancy, which will ensure they dont dry out for 3 months..you would want to do it like I do my plants..they spend 4 months at 35 degrees:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco...CP/page5c.html

If its warmer than that, like in the 50's, it could be worse..because the plants might not be "fully" dormant, and fungus is much more likely to grow at those warmer temps if they are bagged up..and if they arent bagged up, then they are more likely to dry out..So IMO the best way to do "unattended" dormancy is if the plants are really cold..35 to 40 degrees..because they can stay in suspended animation for months that way..any warmer, and they might not do so well being alone for a long time..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scot. It'll be tricky finding that sweet spot. I live in a zone much cooler than the original poster's, so I'll look into your method. Thanks a bunch!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My other option (besides now rejected basement) is the garage. It is not heated and even-though it may be a bit warmer in there than outside I suspect it will be cold enough.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    My other option (besides now rejected basement) is the garage. It is not heated and even-though it may be a bit warmer in there than outside I suspect it will be cold enough.
    That sounds close enough. Is there a window in the garage?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    That sounds close enough. Is there a window in the garage?
    No there is no window unfortunately, but there is a sliding door with poor insulation which provides a slight draft of air. I can place the pots near that door

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12