What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which place would be better to winter my VFT?

I've been growing them outside most the summer, and even though it's still in the mid 90's here I know I'm gonna have to think about keeping them over the winter soon.

I have two options.

One is an uninsulated closet on my patio that even though it lacks insulation it still provides some protection (a little cooler when it's hot out, warmer when it's cold). I'm hoping it would act kinda like a garage and help keep the plant from freezing solid.

The second option is placing it on the windowsill in my living room. I'd leave the window slightly cracked most of the time (unless it gets really cold), hoping this would provide the temps required for dormancy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

I should also include that I live in an area that's around a zone six or seven.

Last edited:
probably would help if we knew where you lived, but the outside closet is probably better

probably would help if we knew where you lived, but the outside closet is probably better

I live in Boise.

The zone can experience temps down to zero on a somewhat regular basis from year to year.

I live in the Buffalo, NY area. Our winters consistently have below freezing overnight lows. My best over-wintering situation was when we lived in an apartment that had an attic with windows. The attic is unheated but drew some heat from the 2nd floor apartment. As cold as it got it wasn't enough to kill anything. Being at windows, they took their cues from the change in daylength. Whatever approximates something similar is probably your best bet.

how wet is too wet for outdoor dormancy (i started growing cps early spring so i dont kno what to do when winter comes along) should i ditch the trays?
sorry about hijacking the thread but i didnt want to make a new one

Actually, neither option sounds good..I would try to come up with a 3rd idea..
the "uninsulated closet on my patio" will probably get FAR too cold..and you cant regulate the temperature on an indoor windowsill, even byt "leaving it open a crack"..and you wont be leaving it open a crack when its zero to 20 degrees outside, you will have to close it completely..which will make the windowsill FAR too warm..you need to aim for 35 to 55 degrees..steady..all winter.

sorry, but both options have a high likelihood of failure and eventual death for the plant..

Scot

What about the refrigerator technique?

Refrigeration works, as long as you have room.

Oh how timely. I was just wondering about the same issue. I live in northeast philadelphia which is a zone 6B. It gets really windy and cold during winter, everything gets covered in thick sheet of Ice very often. Thus I dont think I could keep my VFT and Purpurea outside for dormancy.
I was considering my windowsill but not sure if it will be cold enough.
Maybe a basement at y parent's house ?

If its a windowsill in a room occupied by humans in the winter, then no, its not cold enough! ;)

If its a room that people dont use at all in the winter, door is closed, heat to that room is turned off all winter, and its 40 to 50 degrees in that room..then ok..but that seldom happens..

basements are seldom cold enough either..unless its a very drafty poorly insulated basement..then maybe, but generally, no, not so good..

Scot

If its a room that people dont use at all in the winter, door is closed, heat to that room is turned off all winter, and its 40 to 50 degrees in that room..then ok..but that seldom happens..

If such a room existed... could the plants be left in there more-or-less all winter with no human inspection? (I'm a college student whose family doesn't care for my Sarracenia or venus flytraps and temperate sundews at all and wouldn't know what they're doing when they go to "check" them)

If such a room existed... could the plants be left in there more-or-less all winter with no human inspection? (I'm a college student whose family doesn't care for my Sarracenia or venus flytraps and temperate sundews at all and wouldn't know what they're doing when they go to "check" them)

in theory yes..but if there is going to be no human intervention all winter, the room should ideally be very cold..(like 35 to 40 degrees) so that the plants will be *really* dormant and not growing at all..in which case they can be bagged up for dormancy, which will ensure they dont dry out for 3 months..you would want to do it like I do my plants..they spend 4 months at 35 degrees:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5c.html

If its warmer than that, like in the 50's, it could be worse..because the plants might not be "fully" dormant, and fungus is much more likely to grow at those warmer temps if they are bagged up..and if they arent bagged up, then they are more likely to dry out..So IMO the best way to do "unattended" dormancy is if the plants are really cold..35 to 40 degrees..because they can stay in suspended animation for months that way..any warmer, and they might not do so well being alone for a long time..

Scot

Thanks Scot. It'll be tricky finding that sweet spot. I live in a zone much cooler than the original poster's, so I'll look into your method. Thanks a bunch!

My other option (besides now rejected basement) is the garage. It is not heated and even-though it may be a bit warmer in there than outside I suspect it will be cold enough.

My other option (besides now rejected basement) is the garage. It is not heated and even-though it may be a bit warmer in there than outside I suspect it will be cold enough.

That sounds close enough. Is there a window in the garage?

That sounds close enough. Is there a window in the garage?

No there is no window unfortunately, but there is a sliding door with poor insulation which provides a slight draft of air. I can place the pots near that door :)

Back