User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which place would be better to winter my VFT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which place would be better to winter my VFT?

I've been growing them outside most the summer, and even though it's still in the mid 90's here I know I'm gonna have to think about keeping them over the winter soon.

I have two options.

One is an uninsulated closet on my patio that even though it lacks insulation it still provides some protection (a little cooler when it's hot out, warmer when it's cold). I'm hoping it would act kinda like a garage and help keep the plant from freezing solid.

The second option is placing it on the windowsill in my living room. I'd leave the window slightly cracked most of the time (unless it gets really cold), hoping this would provide the temps required for dormancy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

I should also include that I live in an area that's around a zone six or seven.
    Last edited by squeakypeat; 09-10-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably would help if we knew where you lived, but the outside closet is probably better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEY View Post
    probably would help if we knew where you lived, but the outside closet is probably better
    I live in Boise.

The zone can experience temps down to zero on a somewhat regular basis from year to year.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the Buffalo, NY area. Our winters consistently have below freezing overnight lows. My best over-wintering situation was when we lived in an apartment that had an attic with windows. The attic is unheated but drew some heat from the 2nd floor apartment. As cold as it got it wasn't enough to kill anything. Being at windows, they took their cues from the change in daylength. Whatever approximates something similar is probably your best bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how wet is too wet for outdoor dormancy (i started growing cps early spring so i dont kno what to do when winter comes along) should i ditch the trays?
    sorry about hijacking the thread but i didnt want to make a new one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, neither option sounds good..I would try to come up with a 3rd idea..
    the "uninsulated closet on my patio" will probably get FAR too cold..and you cant regulate the temperature on an indoor windowsill, even byt "leaving it open a crack"..and you wont be leaving it open a crack when its zero to 20 degrees outside, you will have to close it completely..which will make the windowsill FAR too warm..you need to aim for 35 to 55 degrees..steady..all winter.

sorry, but both options have a high likelihood of failure and eventual death for the plant..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the refrigerator technique?
    Indeed. Most indeededly. Phillip J. Frye

My growlist.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refrigeration works, as long as you have room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast