User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, my VFT doesn't seem to be starting dormancy on my sill...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    (except, as I said, an open window sill for dormancy).[/
    well, that might make all the difference right there..
    Is the window open in the late summer and autumn as well?
    and are they exposed to natural light? (decreasing photoperiod) and cooler autumn days and nights? in that case, they arent really "indoors" in the same sense that most indoor growers refer to...they are instead sort-of outdoors, being exposed to more of the outdoor climate than the indoor climate..that could be a huge factor...but most people cant keep open windows all winter long, if its a room meant for human occupation..thats the real problem.

Because there is probably a big difference between what you are doing, and a *closed* window..where the plant is exposed to climate-control for the comfort of humans..AC in the summer, and heat in the winter..(or, worse still, in a terrarium with never changing temp and never changing light)

you might be able to pull it off! 2 years isnt really enough to go on yet, but time will tell..
    tell us more about your open window..what temps do you maintain during the winter?

Scot

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

As far as fridge dormancy, there are plenty accounts around the boards of having used the method quite successfully.
    yes, if its done right! I agree its a quite successful method..I used it myself for over 10 years..
    (and in a way, im still using it now..just not with a fridge)
    but! as I keep saying, the plant has to be already dormant before it goes into the fridge! you cant usually get that with indoor growing..not with a closed window..which is what jebbe is talking about..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is very true, it's more quasi-indoors than not. It varied from 30 up towards 75 all winter, quite erratically. That's Colorado weather for ya. But, overall, the temperatures were cooler there than they would have been solely indoors. They, of course, did experience natural photoperiod variation, but that's easily replicated indoors.

And I just realized... one... y'know, kind of... important detail... *facepalm*

My flytraps (which this thread is about) didn't get the window sill. They stayed in my minibog (100% indoors) all winter. They, however, were still allowed to have a temperature drop, though less drastic. During the winter, I turn the AC in the plant room off and just pull air in from outside. This allowed the flytraps in the minibog to experience much cooler temperatures, though still not what they theoretically should have since I also have tropicals in that same room. But, as I said, they still entered what I believe to be dormancy. The temperature drop they experienced was probably, on average, about ten or fifteen degrees, and the photoperiod went from 14 hours to 8, so that might well have been enough to trigger it.

And yeah, like I said, two years is a small amount of time to base the success on, I was just saying it's a very promising start that gives me reason to believe there's at least one extra option available that doesn't include abandonment or death, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reaper,
    that sounds like a pretty good system! you might have something good going there..you should keep a detailed log of your experiment!

but you arent really growing your plants indoors at all!
    not in the same sense that 99% of people would attempt to grow them indoors..
    (or be forced to grow them indoors)

your plants are almost on a patio..they have a roof over their heads, but as far as the plants are concerned, one wall might as well be missing! (which is a *good* thing!)

most "indoor growers" dont have the luxury of maintaining a completely unheated room all year long..(ideally you would want it to always be unheated, not just winter, but autumn and spring as well..then keep the windows wide-open all summer..) If you have that luxury, then great! but thats not really the same thing as newbys asking "can I grow my VFT indoors?"...you have created an artificial outdoors by using windows to bring much of the outdoor climate indoors..nice!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehhhh, well, it's still not idea for the plants (I can't afford to have it be 40 degrees in there, both because of the heating bill and because it'd kill my tropicals), but like I said, I think it's just enough to spark the "Oh, hey, it's winter, better go dormant!" feelings in the plants, lol.

But it's all going to change. For Christmas, I get to build a greenhouse in our basement! Woot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The window isn't open, but the photoperiod has naturally decreased.
    It does seem to have slowed down it's growth, but I don't know if it's in a true dormancy.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Although the window has only been close recently--I've been gettin too cold at night. Maybe it is dormant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebbewocky View Post
    I've been growing them on my sill--we get birds and squirrels all the time and didn't want it getting eaten.
    The fridge is the only place I can winter it--there's no room we aren't using.
    Everyone has birds and squirrels..that alone isnt reason enough to keep them indoors..
    I have read about people having problems with humans..they cant keep their plants outdoors because of idiot neighbors and general riff-raff, but if your only problem is birds and squirrels, then your plants should definately be kept outside next year..

Squirrels generally arent a big problem..once or twice a year they might try to dig in larger pots (larger than 12" diameter) but in my experience they ignore pots smaller than that..

I have had bird problems..Mother Robins love long-fibre spagnum moss in the spring, they like to steal it for nesting material..although its only a problem for a few weeks in the spring, then its fine after that...but still, I had to cover my mini-bogs with green chicken wire..(its regular chicken wire that comes coated in a green vinyl/plastic coating)..its somewhat ugly, but after a month or so that plants grow up through the wire then it isnt very noticable..

since using the wire mesh, I have had no bird or squirrel problems at all..
    and my yard is overrun with both!

There are easy ways to defeat the birds and squirrels..
    its not really a major problem..
    keeping the plants outdoors is MUCH more important than the minor nuisance of animals..

If your plants survive the winter indoors, next spring get them outside!

Scot

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jebbewocky View Post
    The window isn't open, but the photoperiod has naturally decreased.
    It does seem to have slowed down it's growth, but I don't know if it's in a true dormancy.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Although the window has only been close recently--I've been gettin too cold at night. Maybe it is dormant?
    No, its probably not dormant at all..based on what you describe.
    at this point all you can do is just keep it on the windowsill and hope for the best..dont even try to put it anywhere cold for dormancy..because its not dormant..

Many newly purchased plant are TC plants (tissue culture)..their internal clocks are all messed up anyway, they have no idea what season it is because they have never spent a year outdoors to "set the clock"..the plant will probably survive this first winter indoors..although it might weaken a bit..but assuming its still alive in the Spring, put it outside in April, leave it outside until November, then next late Autumn find a winter resting place for it, as it will be truly dormant by then, since it was outside all season..

this winter, just leave it alone and hope for the best..
    where did you buy the plant? was it a "death cube" type plant?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was sold in a plastic cube at meijer, though the box specifically said it needed to be taken out of the cube once purchase, which I did.

I'll not bother with dormancy this year and try next year.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

I might have to try a big pot of outdoor Sarracenia next year.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

And I actually like the birds ans squirrels, and use a birdfeeder so I can watch them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woo! another convert to outdoor growing!

Welcome to the hobby jebbe, you have only just begun..

yeah, if it was a meiger "cube" plant, the plant has no idea what season it is..
    it grew up in "Spring" inside a tube..was placed in its cube for shipping, probably spent a few weeks or months in the warm and dark of the store..then you bought it, gave it a better life, but its still only known Spring and Summer...it has no concept of autumn or winter..and it has to pass through autumn before it can survive winter..

I think just leaving it alone for now, on the windowsill, is the best option..
    get it outside in the spring, and it will likely rebound for you then..

Scot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast