User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, my VFT doesn't seem to be starting dormancy on my sill...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try S.purpurea and D.rotiflunda. Both MI natives.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lucky enough that several of my temperate Dews started forming hibernacula during autumn indoor. I dunno how that happened, probably during the period of time when I did not yet start turning on the heater in the apartment and also due to the reduced light cycle that I tried to mimic indoors with timers They are now resting in buckets in the refrigerator and seem to be ok.

One suggestion I was given is that you can try to force your plant to sleep by placing it in refrigerator overnight for several weeks in the row and then leaving it there completely once it shows signs of going dormant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that it's a "Death-cube" plant and thus is probably "confused" as is, I think I'll leave it alone, hope for the best, and then outdoors it next spring.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

My Drosera spatulata I don't even need to do anything with, since it doesn't need any dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb porch mini-greenhouse

i think a good option to try would be to repot your plant in a much bigger pot (more wide than deep) - keeping all the curent soil and roots intact.
    if you could create a miniature greenhouse to "insulate" the plant (and the extra soil is to insulate the roots) then your plant could stand a chance out on your porch - depending on how cold it gets! If your winter is pretty crazy, there may be no options for you. But im thinking... maybe 20 degrees? could be tolerable.
    also it would be help to grow other winter growing plants - in other pots - inside this mini greenhouse alongside your vft.
    the purpose of all of this is to insulate your plants, reduce changes in temperature, and maintain a more acceptable minimum.
    while all of these things will produce negligable diffrences on their own, together they may help in your desire for an acceptable temperature (35 degrees or so)

recap:
    -more soil to protect the roots
    -plastic liner or otherwise to create a 'greenhouse'
    -other plants to grow inside the greenhouse alongside it - growth creates warmth as waste

the final option would be to put a single bulb inside the greenhouse with it, to raise the temperature. not a grow bulb, as you dont want too much light, youre mostly interested in the ten or so degrees a light within a contained area will raise the temperature.

i hope this helps, or fosters some new ideas for you! good luck!

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post

One suggestion I was given is that you can try to force your plant to sleep by placing it in refrigerator overnight for several weeks in the row and then leaving it there completely once it shows signs of going dormant.
    excellent suggestion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebbewocky View Post
    When should I fridge it? I'm going to have to fridge it overwinter as no part of my apartment gets cold enough, and being in Michigan, the porch gets too cold. I thought I had to wait for it to go all brown and die back before I fridged it, but that hasn't happened yet, and it seems like it should have started at least.
    If you bought your VFT this year it's possible it may be resisting dormancy because it is a young plant not too long out of TC that has never gone dormant before and doesn't really need to go dormant this Winter. if this is the case it may still very well slump into a light dormancy anyways if it is grown in a windowsill without any artificial lighting supplementing it.

To make a VFT go dormant in places in the US where it gets too cold to leave them outside all year all you should need to do is place it about 2 inches from the glass of the window. The night chill on your window should make a nice little microclimate that gets cold enough to make it go into at least a light dormancy every Winter and that is all a VFT really needs. VFTs don't really need temperatures much below 50 F to go dormant, especially red forms. Refrigerator dormancies or garage dormancies are overkill. The VFTs can still photosynthesize all Winterlong in a windowsill but not in a refrigerator or garage.

There are VFT growers in CA who grow VFTs in greenhouses and their night time temperatures sometimes don't even drop below 50 F during the Winter. They often have daytime temperatures that soar into the 80s F in their greenhouses and yet their VFTs still go dormant every Winter just like they are supposed to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sending out new shoots now--I think I'll just try outdoor growing next spring.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a larger bucket, put the plant in the pot in the bucket it and leave the plant overnight in the refrigerator. Take it out in the morning and place back on the sill until evening. Repeat until it goes ZZZzzzZZZZ. Once it is dormant keep it refrigerated in the bucket, but spray with Trichoderma to keep off bad fungus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, the VFT is still with us, although a little more black. It has been sending out new shoots still, just a little less often. I had it on the porch during the heatwave we had here, but then I found out we have to have our deck/porch re-done, so I brought all my plants in.

I plan on putting it, and all my other plants out again as soon as that's over with however!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast