Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best VFT cultivar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had too much luck with VFT's, but in my limited experience and limited gene pool I have found B52's to be quite hardy and large and rewarding.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think B52s are considered to have the largest traps on average, with traps over 2" long (doesn't seem like much until you see it in person) expected on mature plants. I've seen really big B52s, and they look like they could eat small mice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    This is probably a bad reason to select a cultivar but which has the biggest traps. I had a lowes typical plant until it rotted away from its base. If there are any other reasons you like a cultivar besides trap size can you please list them. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Really they are all the same species so they will all be nearly identically (unnoticeable change) easy/difficult to grow besides the ones that are mutated into differnt shapes like Korean Melody Shark, Wacky Traps, Whale, Trichterfalle, funnel, etc because those are usualy weaker clones.. The rest are all the same..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, some clones are more vigorous than others.

Honestly, I'd just get my hands on a bunch of seedgrown typical flytraps. Usually cheaper and more natural. I have B-52...or what is supposed to be B-52, and "SW Giant" performed much better...and it has much longer leaves. I once had a 'Royal Red' and found it to be rather slow-growing and hard to please.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    No, some clones are more vigorous than others.

Honestly, I'd just get my hands on a bunch of seedgrown typical flytraps. Usually cheaper and more natural. I have B-52...or what is supposed to be B-52, and "SW Giant" performed much better...and it has much longer leaves. I once had a 'Royal Red' and found it to be rather slow-growing and hard to please.
    Being more vigorous doesn't mean its more hardy though. Just that it grows faster and bigger. One of my typicals ("Long Neck") Grows extremely fast. It grew faster than all the others i had this past year, and got bigger, but the others still lived. The only ones I would worry about are really thin/small/deformed ones thatcant eat. Wacky canteat so it needs special care and love kms NEEDS to be moist at all times or it will wilt within hours of drying out with its thin necks..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Being more vigorous doesn't mean its more hardy though. Just that it grows faster and bigger. One of my typicals ("Long Neck") Grows extremely fast. It grew faster than all the others i had this past year, and got bigger, but the others still lived. The only ones I would worry about are really thin/small/deformed ones thatcant eat. Wacky canteat so it needs special care and love kms NEEDS to be moist at all times or it will wilt within hours of drying out with its thin necks..
    I've found being more vigorous to often equal being hardier. However, in normal growing conditions you will not see much of a difference, as Doomsday said.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    What cultivar do you recommend for a beginner? I heard good things about Big mouth, Big vigorous, B52, and Fang cultivars.
    I would recommend 'Big mouth', 'B52', 'Jaws' (Fantastic cultivar), Bob Zeimer's "1955"-this is not a registered cultivar but has been really vigorous for me. They are all great though. I've grown some typicals that I like better than many cultivars, seriously.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12