Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best VFT cultivar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best VFT cultivar

What cultivar do you recommend for a beginner? I heard good things about Big mouth, Big vigorous, B52, and Fang cultivars.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B52 seems like a pretty boss plant to me. It was my only VFT that grew well with a mite infestation and it is also very big.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all very similar for growing. If you want to start out with a vft I recomend you wait until spring, if you cant wait though you could start with a tropical cp, some are nepenthes, tropical dews, mexican pings, and others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start with a robust/vigorous cultivar like bigmouth, big vigorous, (as you suggested) vigorous, finetooth x red, dutch, dutch delight, or dentate. Red ones tend to be a little bit weaker in my experience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBH in terms of hardiness they are all almost identical with the exceptions being the mutants like wacky, kms, and the tiny ones... B52 will grow the leargest, and at a pretty good pace, but it isn't really any hardier than the others.. If you are a beginner you should get a typical to get used to it since most people kill their first ones, or at least struggle a bit. If you wait until spring, I will have a bunch of b52 and dente that are going to be about small/medium that I can trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good suggestions already. I'd probably rank my favorite "vigorous" flytraps in the following order:
    Jaws
    B52
    Big Vigorous
    Big Mouth
    Fine Tooth x Red
    Dutch Delight

All of those get nice sized traps, are vigorous growers and get good coloration (except for Dutch Delight which doesn't color up a whole lot).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suck at flytraps. But B52 has been growing relentlessly without problems. No stopping this beast..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably a bad reason to select a cultivar but which has the biggest traps. I had a lowes typical plant until it rotted away from its base. If there are any other reasons you like a cultivar besides trap size can you please list them. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast