User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After much panic all is well...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After much panic all is well...!

After panicking for a few weeks and thinking all was wrong with my plant and plant care skills, I believe all is well. The VFTs I got looked to be in bad shape when I received them. It appears that the new winter leaves have started growing in. The sundew is also showing a lot of new growth and I actually fed it today! So, I guess the lesson here is patience and probably waiting until spring to get plants would help also. **Sidenote** Got "The Savage Garden" in the other day and I'm loving all the information that's within its paperbound cover!
    "The rush of battle is a potent and often lethal addiction, for war is a drug..." -Chris Hedges journalist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMFEOD View Post
    The VFTs I got looked to be in bad shape when I received them. It appears that the new winter leaves have started growing in.
    The what now?? "new winter leaves"?? Dionaea needs a winter dormancy period, so if anything it should be well on its way to fully dormant with most of its foliage dried up, not making new leaves. Are you growing this indoors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, it's outside and has sprouted new growth. I asked the seller and he told me that the winter leaves should be coming in and possibly due to the warmer than usual winter that we are experiencing out here that might be causing the growth...? It is warm enough for me to wear shorts outside....

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

So should I begin panicking again?
    "The rush of battle is a potent and often lethal addiction, for war is a drug..." -Chris Hedges journalist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have no idea what that's about. You're in Delaware and it's warm enough to wear shorts? I suppose if your plants haven't experienced a heavy frost than they could still be growing. However, I have no idea why the seller would tell you to expect this. As whimgrinder said, the opposite should be occurring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds normal - nothing to fret about.

Several years ago, John Hummer mentioned** that he noticed that the 'naturalized' VFTs in his bog grow during warm spells all winter long. In his opinion, they do not have a true dormancy like many other temperate plants.

** I think this was from listserver comments but it may also have been from a personal conversation during one of his open days...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my potted VFT died all the way back to the rhizome and then started slowly producing one leaf a couple of weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of my VFTs still have healthy, fully-functioning traps and are still catching insects. I don't think their dormancy needs to be as severe as some people on here think, like keeping the plant in a fridge all winter. In their native habitat, it's not unusual to have heat waves that bring the temperature up to the mid-to-high 70s during the winter. My plants are making new traps but not unfurling them yet... They stay folded up near the base of the plant. I think in a couple months they're going to explode into action like my sarrs will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks... Yeah, it's been unusually warm this winter and most of the traps are closed and they appear to be "drying" up but there is still 2 new leaves coming in. I'll post pics as soon as I can locate the charger to my camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast