What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea hanging out the window

I was having trouble deciding where to put my VFTs nowadays, since last year they lived on my windowsill (classic nono) and then they moved into my mum's greenhouse which got them riddled with spidermites. With a dog running around, outside on the ground was not an option, so I decided to put them a little higher up in a hanging basket (for lack of a better name) outside my bedroom window. They're obviously not much to look at yet but I thought I'd share their new digs which I'm pretty proud of!

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

Whilst it may look like a redhead's scrotum, I'm sure my VFTs will be happier this year in the full sun.

Great setup. I'd be worried about the media drying though. And birds picking the moss clean for nesting material. Birds kept digging up my pot of flytraps or denuding my tubs of Sphagnum. Bamboo skewers kept the crows out but didn't deter smaller birds. Screen over the flytrap pot and an old AOL CD hanging over the tubs finally did the trick for me.

Great setup. I'd be worried about the media drying though. And birds picking the moss clean for nesting material. Birds kept digging up my pot of flytraps or denuding my tubs of Sphagnum. Bamboo skewers kept the crows out but didn't deter smaller birds. Screen over the flytrap pot and an old AOL CD hanging over the tubs finally did the trick for me.

I can just open my window to water it, so that shouldnt be a problem. Very good point about the birds though, I'll have to think of something that can fit the awkward shape and location!

skewers won't look the best but you can take them and stick them in so they are a couple inches over the top of all the traps so even if a small bird could stand on them it couldnt peck the traps.... I dont see why they would want to anyway its just leaves no flowers

Very nice setup!

I have not had any trouble with birds, mainly the problem are squirrels, to tell you that I can basically grow my vft's outside year round without a problem(live 2hours away from the VFT's natural habitat) :) .
But maybe birds could be a problem for you since they are up that high and the green color might attract them.
Something I did with some plants to prevent squirrels from eating them a/o birds, simply put several toothpicks around the plants so if a bird tries to peck the plant it will receive first a nice surprise of toothpicks! :)

Good luck and hope to see pics of them in the summer! I wonder if them, being up there isolated and receiving all the sunlight and care, would they grow better! :)

Also,remember that birds might not be interested in the peat(of course) but in the LFSM around and at the bottom of the pot, remember that birds can take the moss from the bottom or sides as well, so maybe if you put a nice white color bag to cover the sides and bottom of the pot i think that could work out.

Thanks for the compliments and great advice! I particularly like the toothpicks idea, the spikes sound like a very good fit alongside VFTs.

Very nice setup! The plants should do well there :)

Back