Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dormancy Question

I've had my plants in a cool place all winter. The plant lost all its traps, but it still had some green stalks and looked alive and well, dormant. We had some warmer weather (60s - 70s) in NY. So I decided to put the outside for some sun for a few days. Since then they have yellowed badly and appear to be dying. I have no idea what happened. They made it through an entire winter and in just a few days of sun they deteriorated badly. Is there a chance they are still alive?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of plant ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, they are VFTs (3 of them). The same exact thing happened to all 3.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be sun burn, especially if the leaves are turning black from the edges. It's usually best to ease them into full sun over a couple weeks or so. It might put your plants back a few weeks but usually they recover.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever kind of plant it is (though that would be helpful to know), if you had it in a dark place all winter and then all of a sudden put it in full sun, the plant is not used to full sun and the leaves can burn or show light stress. It shouldn't be much to worry about though, the plant will put up new leaves that are made for full sun if you keep it there. No plant likes sudden changes though.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I'm positive it is still alive below the soil, assuming you are otherwise taking care of it correctly. Like I said, the sudden change just burned it's leaves, but it will produce more. Keep it in the sun and it should come back to full health.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post any photos? that would be helpful..

your plants are probably fine..if they came through winter dormancy and the stems were still green, they are probably fine..could be sunburn, but if they were "last years leaves" that were already growing in the full sun last season, then they shouldnt burn...unless they were plants you perhaps just bought last fall?

here is a demo on what sun burn looks like:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco...CP/page5a.html

(near the bottom of that page)
    but those are leaves that grew indoors for a month or so, and so weren't acclimated to full sun..
    what is the history of your VFT's? were they outdoors in full sun last summer/autumn?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stalks/stems were left over from last year, but the traps had fallen off as the plants went into dormancy. They were in a cool hallway during the winter where they didn't get direct sun, but they got a little sun through a window. It got cold again in NY so I brought them back in, but they look pretty bad. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera.

I only have them one year. They did very well outdoors last spring and summer. As it got cold they started to go dormant. They got caught in one surprise overnight frost/freeze. I brought them in right after that and they went totally dormant. They lost all the traps, but retained some stems that remained green through the winter but did not grow at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One frost won't hurt them. Is the crown of the plant visible? Does it still look green down in the crown if so? That would be a good sign if so.

If it's burn, I'm pretty sure that is happening to my purpurea I just got. If you look closely you can see the areas that are somewhat shaded are still pinkish, the brown spotty areas are where I'm assuming the previous grower had them buried too.

I'm not too worried about it though, and you shouldn't be too worried either, it should bounce back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast