Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFT's flooded!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VFT's flooded!

TF,

I just wanted to share a pic of my VFT's covered completely with water. This happens out in nature so I figure I should do the same taking into account they are growing in a big container having closet 2ft of soil below. The chances of my plants rotting are very unlikely.

I also met with Wahter(another member), and he gave me Sarracenia wrigleyana in exchange for other plants I had.

I also flooded the darlingtonias (they grow pretty slow) but are growing well, and I am giving them occasional floodings and flushing the water instantly ( just like in their ecosystem).

The pic of the ceph, I used my index finger for comparison of how big the pitcher is. This plant is growing really well and I am not even watering, the way I water this plant is very uniquely. I use a droplet and 1 time per week I am simply dropping 8 to 10 drops of water in the crown ( that's it! ) I am also using a fertilizer(from lowe's) and I am filling the pitchers up every two weeks. I am using 5ml of fertilizer per half a gallon (it is a very weak fertilizer solution but it works great for cephs, neps, heli, sarras. They are for sure growing bigger with the fertilizer on the pitchers.

The last pic is of an ant that obviously got trapped!

I received the VFT's from Matt about a year ago (Thanks Matt!) and they are growing fantastic in my conditions, I can't wait for summer when all the traps will be covering the entire container, then it will be a death zone for insects!

For comparison unflooded:

flooded:

Large VFT's:

Ceph:

Sarra from Wahter:

Pollinating S. wrigleyana X S.x catesbaei

Ant in dutch delight:

Same ant in VFT Scarlet Maroon Iris:

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same thing every once in a while! I didn't know this actually happened in the wild, just noticed that my vft benefitted GREATLY after doing it, so I continued to flood 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crofthulhu View Post
    I do the same thing every once in a while! I didn't know this actually happened in the wild, just noticed that my vft benefitted GREATLY after doing it, so I continued to flood 'em.
    My plants seem to like it a lot, I do the same with the sarracenias and they enjoy it as well. Eventually the water evaporates in 2-3 days and I believe the same happens in their ecosystem.

If you saw my pics of croatan national forest I took of the Sarras and droseras in the wild, you will see that for the most part they live very close to the source of water. some were also growing in drier conditions but in overall it was really wet during that time( about a month ago).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all....

Second of all... this is why I'm jealous of folks who have outdoor space to work with. Silly city apartment life.

Third of all... Joseph Clemens seems to make a habit of flooding his VFTs pretty regularly too, based on threads of his I've read... and the results speak for themselves!

Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by TheFury; 04-24-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool JHT! And very nice plants You're very welcome for them. I'm glad to see them so well taken care of!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where'd you get that sand?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, JHT!

Mentioned