User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross pollination and seed harvesting.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been able to successfully pollinate typical flytraps, but never have I had my 'Dentate Traps' plants produce seeds after numerous tries, both self an cross pollinating. By the way, contrary to what NaN said, it's today's pollen on yesterday's stigma, as pollen appears the second the flower opens while the stigma becomes receptive a day or two later.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Roman. I usually just germinate mine right beside my other VFTs outdoors. The only difference is I leave the pot in a water tray until they germinate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try germinating outdoors but the weather here has been fairy hot with hard rains. I don't want the seeds to get washed away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have crossed a few of my plants over the years; and since I desired only a particular cross at those times, I ensured that there was no unwanted cross-pollination by removing the flowers from those cultivars before they could ever pose a "problem." Bagging and hand-pollinating, as Warren suggested, is a good alternative; though I didn't have the luxury of time and my plants are in direct sunlight. Anything bagged becomes guacamole . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12