Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and boy do I need help, Flowering Venus Fly Trap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New here and boy do I need help, Flowering Venus Fly Trap

Hey, so I have a bit of a problem I think. I'm pretty new to carnivorous plants, I've had some luck with various pitcher plants but my VFT leaves a lot to be desired.
    I got back form vacation and when I looked at my VFT, I noticed this large flower stalk that is almost fully developed. Nothing has bloomed yet but it probably will soon. I'll try and get pictures up ASAP, but I have a few questions.
    1. how long until the flowers bloom?
    2. since I have the flowers, might as well try self pollination or something right? I don't have any other fly traps to cross with or anything sadly.
    3. how long till seeds develop and what should I do to plant them? how many should I expect.
    4. on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how screwed am I with this plant right about now? lol
    Thanks for the help in advance guys, I'll try and do a more proper post later on, but this just came up now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's common to cut off the flower stalk, as flowering drains a lot of the plant's energy. The cutting can then be planted and you can get a new flytrap from it. That being said, you can try pollinating if you'd like to. The seeds should develop in time for winter, and they'll need a cold stratification. You'd sow them next spring. Don't worry too much about your VFT though, mine flower sometimes and I've never lost a plant because of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let all mine flower out harvested the seeds then cut and planted the stalks lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with punpkinface, if your VFT isn't too big, I definitely recommend cutting off the flower stalk. If you it's a big plant and nice n healthy, then go for some self-pollination. your seeds should develop pretty quickly, probably within 2-3 weeks. I can't tell you exactly how close the flowers are til blooming without seeing the plant, but probably in a week or so if the stalk really is close to being fully developed. I don't think your screwed at all. Your safe option is to cut the stalk off, but nothing beats the experience of growing your own plants from seed you've collected from your collection. It's entirely up to you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are new to the hobby the nI would cut the stalk and plant it and hopefully you will get a clone of the mother plant. Otherwise, it mightnot KILL the plant but it will weaken it severely. I know my justina davis clone is still shrunk and not so healthy lookng from flowering this spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let mine flower, harvested the seeds, and got a high germination rate. They plants that flowered are still making huge, well formed traps. If they're kept in good conditions they should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine right now from what I understand is more or less beyond the point of no return as far as the effectiveness of cutting the flower bud. Its way above the rest of the leafs and has tons of little buds.

By the way, perhaps this is unrelated but can anyone tell me why my plant has been throwing out a mixture of regular sized traps and super small (almost look like what seedling plants look like) traps? I've only had the plant for a few months so I'm still rather new to this. Plus, I should probably re-pot it at some point...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
    By the way, perhaps this is unrelated but can anyone tell me why my plant has been throwing out a mixture of regular sized traps and super small (almost look like what seedling plants look like) traps? I've only had the plant for a few months so I'm still rather new to this. Plus, I should probably re-pot it at some point...
    My vft did that when I first got it. I think it's a result of tissue culture; the plant is still feeling the effects of the chemicals and has many little plantlets forming around it. I would leave it be for a year or two, I divided mine and the stress killed them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast