What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dioneae pulling question

When is the best time to take leaf pullings? I know dormancy is coming up soon and i wasnt sure if you can take pulling and not put them in dormancy? or will the pullings still need dormancy since theyve been growing all season and in that case i will not be taking leaf cuttings until next year.

You could take pullings now. They'd just have to be grown indoors and treated similar to seedlings.

treated similar to seedlings.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have actually been wondering about proper care for seedlings (and it seems like it will apply to the pullings too). In the wild, seedlings must survive the winter so I wasn't sure if I should take mine inside for the winter or put them in dormancy with the adult plants? What is recommended?

I would winter seedlings inside and put them out in the spring.

I agree with jim. Seedlings can over winter inside a grow room grow shelf of just a plain windowsill. If you really wanna boost them I've heard that with sarr seedlings and dioneae seedlingd you can give them a full 18 hours light cycle some say you can give them 24 hour but I you rather have them have some what of a break.

Thanks wireman for the advice. Wasn't sure if they need a dormancy since they had been growing all season. But now I know lol thanks

I had the same worries as you, initially. Pulling strikes start off as new plants, even though they're growing from an older plant. The only reason I moved my pullings outside is because I started them in April or May, and they're big enough now to produce adult traps next season. There's another thing to consider, pullings grow a lot faster than seedlings, so they'll require dormancy next year.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have actually been wondering about proper care for seedlings (and it seems like it will apply to the pullings too). In the wild, seedlings must survive the winter so I wasn't sure if I should take mine inside for the winter or put them in dormancy with the adult plants? What is recommended?

You can leave them outside to go dormant with the adults. I'm growing mine indoors to hurry them along. They're also getting fertilized with my Sarracenia seedlings. I don't recommend the ferts unless you know exactly what you're doing, though.

okay sweet this is good to know yeh i figured that they would need dormancy next year. sweet. im glad to hear this ill be having a good amount of pullings soon since ill be repotting them soon

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll bring them indoors since I would be a little nervous about losing them in dormancy. I'll lay off the fertilizer for now.

Back