What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flower stalk plantlets

i took a couple of fower stalks earlier in spring and have some very tiny plants appear,should i put them under my lights and force them through dormancy as they are so small?

i took a couple of fower stalks earlier in spring and have some very tiny plants appear,should i put them under my lights and force them through dormancy as they are so small?

You could do that or allow them to go through dormancy with the others. I generally treat them like any of the other flytraps . . .

B52VOL.jpg

@corky: yes. that works. usually young plants are capable of skipping dormancy for the first couple years of their lives.

thanks for your responses,think will put them under the lights and at least i have flytraps to look at over winter from a selfish point of view:-D

Mine still are not showing anything on the surface so I decided to pull them out but to my surprise when I did the first one two long roots came out with it. I got really giddy and then dug another hole and stuck it back in the ground.

yes mine took a fair few months to show any growth and this is were i am at now
flowerstalkvft12102012.jpg
they are red dragons

Very nice. I cut mine off in June according to my calendar. I have two in the pot. They are both Dente.

Very nice looking plants ! :)

Thanks for sharing !

Maiden

Wow.. they're super adorable! Thanks for sharing the pictures, you guys! :D

EDIT: And just wondering... can this be done with a flower stalk that already flowered and seeds extracted?

my pure guess would be yes,try it and see,mine took a good few months to show any growth and one flower stalk has only just started to sprout ,got to be six months i think

a few update pics as some interest is shown,lets see how it grows
flowerstalkvft12102012027.jpg
and the largest
flowerstalkvft12102012026.jpg
and this one has only just shown signs of life
flowerstalkvft12102012028.jpg
enjoy:-D

Wow.. they're super adorable! Thanks for sharing the pictures, you guys! :D

EDIT: And just wondering... can this be done with a flower stalk that already flowered and seeds extracted?

As long as the flower stalk is still green a ways up from the base, it should work. I have gotten strikes on flower stalks in full bloom and after seeds matured, as well as before flower buds open up. You can also take leaf pullings and get plantlets from them. I usually stick the flower stalks and leaf pullings in the bog and most don't show any signs of growing new plantlets until the following spring, so don't give up on them too soon whether doing it outside or inside even though the stalk/pulling is completey brown and dried up.

I have never tried VFT cuttings/pullings inside the house under lights, but would assume the time to see results would be shorter than doing it outside.

@corky: Awesome pictures!! Thanks for the update.

@DJ57: Thanks for the info! :D Would definitely try it out later if my vft ever blooms.

i think its time for an update pic,i will be splitting up and potting up these little guys in the next month or so,unless any one thinks this is a bad idea? i am sure its best to repot when dormant but i have skipped dormancy
flowerstalkvft12102012087_zpsfb8d929a.jpg

Sounds good. I love seeing the weird ways these plant grow:awesome:.

can you cut a flower stalk in half and get plantlets from both halves, or is it best just to plant the whole stalk? thanks

a pure guess would be yes you can as the plantlets start from only the bottom portion ,so i have not tried it myself but cannot see why not,i cut theses stalks off when they were only 2inch long so they didn't sap the strength of the plant too much

My flytrap's just started to flower and I'm debating whether to let it grow or cut it off. I've had it for two months now and it's making large traps with good color, so that leads me to think it should be okay.

If your plant has traits you like you will get an identical plantlet from the flower stalk that will grow faster than seedgrown(so i am told) but seedgrown variation may be prefered

Back