What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

venus fly trap?

I am also a newbie and only have one vft and it has a small cup trap and I would like to know is there any time seeds are offer on the trade list? Reason I have been checking off and on and have not seened any offering of seeds? I like to try my luck with big mouth or B-52 I one I got is hanging in there and I did have a flower stalk but thanks for all the advise I cut it off and another member told me to cut it off and put it in water and it may just grow? So been checking that one off and on?

Very occasionally you will see Dionaea seeds for trade or giveaway, but not nearly as much as Drosera seeds or other plants. The reason for this is that many growers cut off the flower stalks of their flytraps to discourage the plant spending energy on blooming and to encourage the plant to make more awesome traps. Also Dionaea seeds are not necessarily the easiest to germinate, though not all that difficult either. But the seedlings themselves take ages to mature compared to Drosera or Pinguicula. Because of that the majority of Dionaea trading happens through rhizome divisions or trading of whole plants.

I'll have seeds in the Spring. I'm one of the brave few who lets their Dionaea flower and have no negative impact to their plants. I find the seeds to be really easy to germinate, and I now have a few hundred seedlings.

There are like a 132 packets available in the ICPS seedbank even as we speak. Membership has its own rewards.

Wow!! I did not know that so thank you all for letting me know that... I was wondering about why I never seen any seeds give away and now know.. I hate to ask questions due to the fact begin a newbie the question probably sounds stuip to you guys? Thanks

Asks as many questions as you want! I think you'll find everyone here to be nice and helpful.
Besides we were all newbies at one time and the only way to stop being a newbie is by learning and asking questions ;)

Thanks now I do not feel as bad asking my questions again many thanks divaskid... if it wasn't for the members my collections would of never got off to a start at all?

I let a few of mine flower. Check in next spring!

Back