User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bohemian Garnet just won't grow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you think about it it makes sense that they could be 8 weeks old i mean they must be under perfect conditions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    PS: My nickname is dals009 on flickr, i have many pictures of differents states of development since last summer.
    Sorry man, I'm just not buying it. I'd need to see a series of photos starting with seeds and updated photos of the same pot to believe it.

I see that you had some small red plants and one green plant in a large pot in the photos here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dals09/...57632912092780
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dals09/...57632912092780

Photos were taken on July 2nd. If you sowed the seed in May and germination took 4 to 5 weeks, as you say, that means the seeds germinated sometime in June. Even assuming that they germinated in early June, this would mean the plants in those photos would be less than one month old from germination. Really? Not a chance, I say. Even the moss on the top of the soil likely wouldn't be as well developed as it is in those photos in just two months.

Below is a photo of what flytraps look like 7 weeks after germination. The size of the seedlings in the photo is along the lines of the thousands and thousands of seedlings I've seen in photos and germinated myself from seed:

And I see you have them labeled "Green Dragon" and "Red Dragon." If they are from seed, you know that they are not "Green Dragon" and "Red Dragon" cultivated varieties, right? Those can only be propagated vegetatively (divisions, pullings, tissue culture, etc.), not by seed. Are you sure you didn't get tissue culture plants from BCP?
    Quote Originally Posted by n bicalcarata View Post
    if you think about it it makes sense that they could be 8 weeks old i mean they must be under perfect conditions
    Actually, if you really think about it, it makes no sense that they could be 8 weeks or or even 8 months old from seed. I just don't think it's possible for flytraps to grow that fast from seed regardless of conditions. Tissue culture is "perfect" conditions: no pathogens nor pests (completely sterile environment), controlled temperature, 100% humidity, all the nutrients the plant wants, etc. In 8 months, plants grown from seed in vitro are sometimes nearly adult sized, but not as large as the ones in Maiden's photos. That's why I'm not believing it.

Those could be 8 months out of tissue culture, but I just don't believe that they are 8 months old from seed.

But all of this is way off topic from the original post. Comparing the growth rate for plants from seedlings to that of a 'Bohemian Garnet' cultivar is two completely different things. 'Bohemian Garnet' is a small flytrap. Growing it to a large size is much more challenging than doing so for other flytraps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not a competition man, you are not the best vfts grower in the world, sometimes you can meet someone who is better than you. You should learn from this, not trying to find a single date error to satisfy your ego.

You should react like a scientific. Im not a lyar. I dont understand why you dont beleive me. My seeds was not sow in june, but germinate in june, my mistake.

My plants are not adults, no flowers this spring for sure. But they are 5 inches tall and very nice. And very well fed. And if i stop feeding them for a couples of weeks, the seedlings will reduce the size. The high feeding rate keep the plants big.

2012/07/10 (4-5 weeks after germination)

2012/07/30

2012/10/05

2012/10/19

2012/12/18

Like a told you many times, the key is FEEDING. Maybe you dont know how feed your plants? Maybe you have the wrong methods? Maybe you need more experience ? We are here for that

On your picture, i cannot find a single trap closed with food. THAT is your problem. Your seedlings are very small for 2 months seedlings.

And if your moss are not like that after 2 months, you REALLY have growing problem. Picture 5 was after repotting, and on picture 6(2months later) you can see the moss evolution.

I just want to let you know that im taking growing very seriously, and i have no reason to tell something not true here.

And for the name akay ryu, and green dragon, you are right, i have to change the name for akay ryu F5 or Akai ryu x Akai ryu.

friendly

Maiden

PS We are not offtopic, we talk about growing speed.
    Last edited by Maiden; 03-15-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with mmlr38. I see no way possible that those grew that fast from seed. You have the pics, but the dates are unbelievable. BTW, mmlr38 is one of the owners of FlyTrapCare, the largest (as far as I know) flytrap provider in the world. He has grown literally thousands of seeds to adult hood and is very familiar with TC. So I would say he is entitled to judge your photos with the experience he definitely has.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I see no way possible that those grew that fast from seed"

Maybe you should learn more? You guys thinks you are the gods of vfts?

Noboby in the world can be better than you?

Its a stupid way of thinking.

"He has grown literally thousands of seeds to adult hood and is very familiar with TC"

LOL

Im a beginner, and i grow my seeds faster. Im proud now, thanks a lot for the info

My plants are not mature by the way, maybe i will have to wait one or 2 more years for flowers. They are just big because they are well fed, but its still seedling.

That guy should buy another book, because he grow his seeds wrong. I have the proof in my terrarium.

Do you think i add some color with photoshop to my heliamphora,? its another good way to consoling yourself if my heli are much red than yours?

you are on the ego side, and its very funny.

I lost enough time here trying to explain. Grow your little weak seedlings, and i will grow my big well fed seedlings

You can think what you want, i just dont care

XoX

cheers

PS: "A loser is someone who refuse to learn, reject the new ideas, and doesnt want to go foward trying new things."
    Last edited by Maiden; 03-15-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, let's not turn this into another huge debate thread like on the pitcher-plant forums. Leave the man to his vfts and stop accusing him.
    Gettin there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrarium eh? Brave man. I would he afraid to do that. I grow mine outside in the good old sunshine. Here's my typical as of a few weeks ago. It's about 2-3 year old, AFAIK.

Here's one of my giants.

That one is not out of dormancy yet. That was taken last fall.

Never tried growing from seed, but they do seem to grow pretty fast in conditions they like.

I think you, Maiden, could perhaps move your light closer. See how mine are compact? It's cause they get enough light to put their energy towards growing large traps and not waste it growing long stalks in an attempt to get more light. But that's also a dilemma in growing vft in a terrarium, hence why it scares me a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look dude, I was just stating the facts. I in fact have never tried to grow VFTs from seed before nor do I want to try anytime soon. I wasn't attacking you on purpose, just stating my opinion. Now that you say they aren't mature its a little better looking. Congrats! You have a great set up.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast