User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohemian Garnet just won't grow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Bohemian Garnet just won't grow!

Hello guys, I'm a Nepenthes lover, my collection of VTF's is insignificant.
    Anyways, I'm a little disapointed because I got a few Bohemian Garnet babies on late 2011, and I was expecting to see something like this http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...t/DSCN4756.jpg
    I'm not really into VTF's but I was expecting to have some wonderful plants like those on the internet, but a year and half after what I've got is this:

My biggest plant is about a half inch across!

Any suggestions so I can make them grow as those beautiful pictures on the web?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any perlite in your soil mix? I don't see any, but I did see some perlite in the soil of the link you posted. My guess would be that not enough aeration to the roots is going on with your seedlings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could also be a dormancy issue, especially in an environment as warm as Mexico City. Has it experienced iany dormancy since 2011? Flytraps are temperate plants, after all and see cold winters . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes 101, you're totally right, the soil is 100% peat moss, I'll repot them into a more areation. But they're not seedlings, they're plants from a leaf cutting and the size hasn't really increased.

BigBella: Winter nights in Mexico are pretty cold, around 45~50°F, but days remain kinda warm about 70°F, so maybe they have never had a good dormancy, but as the plants remained pretty small, I didn't consider they should have a serious dormancy until they get bigger, but they never did it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuuagso View Post

Winter nights in Mexico are pretty cold, around 45~50°F, but days remain kinda warm about 70°F, so maybe they have never had a good dormancy, but as the plants remained pretty small, I didn't consider they should have a serious dormancy until they get bigger, but they never did it
    An acquaintance in Guadalajara puts her plants in the refrigerator in a bag of barely-damp peat from November through mid-February to achieve dormancy; but I do agree that more aeration could also be helpful. Mine are in 2:1 or 3:1 composts of peat to sand . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they catching plenty of food or are you feeding them? They won't grow without additional nutrition.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the soil mix is the problem, I'll change it soon.
    And yes, they trap some weird diminute insects.

Thank you guys, I hope I see bigger plants before I get so old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 100% peat mix isn't a serious problem, though they would do better in an airier mix. Bohemian Garnet is a slow grower and just doesn't get all that large. It is especially difficult to grow it to a large size. It tends to divide a lot and stay small. I have gotten my mother plant fairly large, but the following season it divides a lot and returns to a small size.

They don't require to be fed, but they will grow faster and larger if they are fed.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast