Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: holy moley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Scott: i grow my sarra rubra and minor(with my adult vfts) indoor, under strong lighting system + sunny afternoon from a window. Last fall, i just put the pot next to a windy open window. My plants where dormant(no more growing after cutting all the pitchers) after 6-7 weeks in the front of the windows. The temps was at 8-10C in the room but i dont use that room exept for the plants.

After that i put my sarra in the fridg in a black plastic bag until...last week

Do you think its a good method ?
    yeah, its pretty good!
    (being outside Spring-Summer-Fall would be *better*..but not everyone has outdoor growing space)

The way you did it should work fine..
    they key was placing the plants in the cool window *before* going in the fridge..
    That "simulated" being outdoors in the fall, and is arguably the same thing as being outdoors!
    sitting in an open window in the fall is pretty much the same thing as being outdoors..
    plants are exposed to decresaing temps, and decreasing photoperiod, which are the two things they need
    to trigger dormancy..which probably worked, because as you said they stopped growing after 6 weeks or so..

There is no *specific* length of time anyone can point to, to say *exactly* how long it takes a plant to "go dormant"..
    IMO, the dormancy process begins in late June! because after the Summer Solstice, daylight begins to gradually decrease
    through July-August-September..even though temps dont begin to fall until September..
    So IMO ideally "going dormant" should be 4 month process, July, Aug, Sept, Oct outdoors..
    and by November 1st they are basically "fully dormant"..

But 6 weeks in an open window in Autumn probably works too..
    I wouldn't do any less than a month, before going in the fridge..that's probably not enough time..
    even 6 weeks is a bit short IMO..I would be more comfortable with 2 months minimum.

but sounds like your system is working!
    sounds like a decent plan to me..
    you basically simulated "outdoors in the Autumn", for a month and a half..
    which is that the plants need, before going in the fridge.

I assume the plants are indoors under grow-lights for the Spring and Summer?
    If you can, I would do the "open window" scenario for all of September and October,
    just letting them get natural outside light (turn off the grow lights for those 2 months)
    then put the plants in the fridge in November..(then you can close the window!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your time.

(Im learning english right now, so sorry for the misstakes)

Of course the plants are 'idling' when i put the big peat pot into the fridg.

I think the dormancy went well, caus i have a nice regrow right now. 4-5 littles strange pitchers on each sarracenia. But still no flower. Maybe later? My minor are still seedlings, but my big rubra is adult and should already have a flower?

This rubra have a odd story... I found this plant in a little general store downtown montreal, september 2011. The plant was almost dry and dead. At this time, it was impossible to say what sarracenia specie the plant was. The plant where labeled 'Carnivorous plant' lol.
    The first dormancy was a half one, because i had no experience and the temps where not cold enought(10-15C all winter long) with no shorter photoperiod.
    Spring/Summer 2012: the plant produced no flower, and no complete pitchers.
    This year was the first real dormancy. So maybe this summer the poor plant will have a normal season.
    The only reason i didnt grow my plant outside, is because the roof.
    My building have a new roof, since 2 years and when it rain hard, the water fall in my pot, and its black!

Closing the tubes for the last 2 months is a very good idea, i will try next september!

Eee, we should move this thread into the pitcher plants section? Lol
    Last edited by Maiden; 03-21-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    You cant take a plant that has been growing indoors and just put it straight in the fridge..
    it will be a huge shock, and probably kill the plant..Scot
    Sorry to break it to you, but I do this fairly frequently with no ill effect. No dead plants here! And I see better growth when I take them out.
    I agree, it is better to have the plants go in and out of dormancy slowly, with lighting cues, etc. But it is not completely necessary. A lot of people think these plants are way more fragile than they actually are.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More experienced growers can also get away with things that people new to the hobby often cant..
    So I always give the most "general" advice that will work best with everyone..

For everyone who says they can stick a VFT straight in the fridge after it was indoors for a year,
    there are probably 10 newbies who tried it that way and the plant died..

I didn't say a plant will *always* die if you put it straight in the fridge if it isn't dormant first,
    I said it will *probably* die if it is put straight in the fridge if it isn't dormant first..
    which is still true..
    especially for someone new to the hobby..new hobbyists usually have the weakest plants,
    so they need learn the "best way" to do things, to ensure the most likely success..

If you have been in the hobby for 5 or more years, *then* you can start to break the rules a bit!
    when you know what you are doing..

but before then, people should be told the best way of doing things..
    putting a plant in the fridge that is *not* at all dormant, is not the best way of doing things..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken Scott. I agree that's the best way of going about it, and new growers should exercise greater caution. Just saying it can be done though

Edit: In agunn1231's case however, I thought his plant would have a much better chance if he gave the plant a rest ASAP vs waiting until next winter for dormancy. Obviously the plant isn't dormant immediately when you put it in the fridge, but the plant quickly catches on and slows its metabolism (=dormancy, basically). The best way of going about things? No. But perhaps the better of two evils given the circumstance. His plant was already in a bad situation and extreme action was needed, IMO.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Point taken Scott. I agree that's the best way of going about it, and new growers should exercise greater caution. Just saying it can be done though

Edit: In agunn1231's case however, I thought his plant would have a much better chance if he gave the plant a rest ASAP vs waiting until next winter for dormancy. Obviously the plant isn't dormant immediately when you put it in the fridge, but the plant quickly catches on and slows its metabolism (=dormancy, basically). The best way of going about things? No. But perhaps the better of two evils given the circumstance. His plant was already in a bad situation and extreme action was needed, IMO.

Maybe..it could work..
    but IMO if a plant is already "in an extreme situation" then giving it *another* "extreme situation" usually isn't a good idea!
    (and going straight into the fridge, without already being dormant, is IMO an "extreme situation")
    but agunn1231 said this particular VFT is flowering..which means one of two things:

1. Its basically fine, even without a dormancy this year, and it "thinks" its spring..(which it is..)

2. Its on its death-bed, and flowering as a last resort to pass on its genes before it dies..
    (we have heard of plants doing this sometimes..)

I believe #1 is more likely..if this is a recent tissue-culture plant, its fairly "young" and can probably survive
    its first winter without dormancy, even if that weakens the plant a bit..

IMO, *not* giving it dormancy right now is the less risky course..
    but its hard to say which method (dormancy now, or no dormancy now) would actually be better..
    its open to debate!

If it were my plant, I would not give it a dormancy right now, instead I would put it outside this spring,
    leave it outside spring-summer-autumn, that will "set its internal clock" and it will be ready for a proper
    dormancy next winter..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So tru about newer growers tending to have weaker plants! I feel like the hobby has lost alot of people to weak plant material that never had a chance at competing with the standard CP prophecy: "it'll just die anyway". I had a heck of a time nursing some of the sundews I've gotten back to health. Some even were lost entirely and I had to rely on strikes and propagation to keep them in my collection. Point being, hang in there!
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12