What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Pulling help!

hey guys im new to the forums and this whole VFT stuff :p so i have a vft and it was dying cause i used fertilized peat :/ so i decided to repot the plant but it had all its trap closed and new srping leaves ( the higher ones) couldnt stay up (they fell back to the groud just like one of those ground-hugging leaves) well it was bad to look it going for a good vigourous vtf with red traps to that thing and a week or two so i knew that couldnt save it so i decided to try pullings so i pullled 4 leaves (leaving 5leaves) so the next day i pulled another one but it bringed like 2more with it leving the main plant with only two leaves so now i have some questions:

-can my plant still survive?
-if yes, how?

-do pullings need high humidity?
-if yes,how i do it?
-how much time it takes to see those nubs (or whatever its called)
-how much time for plantlets? :D

Thx guys :)

No, leaf pullings do not require high humidity, but it can help.
And I must ask, why did you take pullings from a dying plant? All that'll do is make your problems worse. Just rinse the roots of the plant (or what's left of them) with water, preferably distilled, and plant it in some unfertilized peat. If you take good care of your plant (read: lots of light) it should recover. Although I'm not sure it will. However, if you give them the light they need, Venus flytraps can do some crazy recoveries. When my plant was stricken by the dreaded Curved-Leaf Syndrome, I gave it much more light, and it recovered within a week.

i took them cause my mom sayd (im kinda young :p) if this one dyed she would never buy me another cause she thinks they always die (btw this is my first one) so i knew that maybe it would die so i prefered not to risk loosing all :/ it was like a desperation moment :/
i give it 12hours+ of artificial light per day cause where i live ppl steal EVERYTHING they can find in windows :/

Ah, I see. Venus flytraps can be a bit tricky to grow, but NO, they do not always die. My "typical" Venus flytrap has been going strong for two and a half months. Anyway, the procedure for leaf pullings that I find to be very common is to wrap the whitish base of the leaf in moist long-fiber Sphagnum moss and put it in an unsealed plastic bag. I don't know if substituting paper towel for the moss works, but I do know that wet newspaper works wonders in warding off mold. However, don't be surprised if your main plant dies. As a reminder for next time, only take leaf pullings if your plant is doing really well (you can tell because it should have big traps with pinkish-reddish interiors), but if your plant begins to make a flower stalk (characterized by a large knoblike structure unlike a developing leaf), you can cut it off and treat it like a leaf pulling to get a new plant.

Please give the stats of your plant, i.e. what you water it with, humidity, etc., so us at the forums can help!

sure ill do that tomorrow aas soon as i can cause i gtg sleep :)

Last edited:
I pulled them down gently and made sure i had some white part they r getting 12h artificial light a day cause were i live ppl steal EVERYTHING they see on windows -_- (for the plant)i leave a tray of water with like 1cm under it (for the pullings)i leave a tray of 1 or2 mm of water cause they r in 5cm high pots and at night i spray they with water am i doing alright?
I took them all by accident (by pulling one of the center leaves) wasnt meant to leve the plant with only 2 leaves well its like that for almost 1 week and i think its getting greener . But I just had courage to post it now :/ im hopping for the best now... But it males me feel bad to look at the plant like that D:

[/QUOTE]However, don't be surprised if your main plant dies[/QUOTE]
ikr i dont have big hopes for it but i think its getting greener :)
[/QUOTE] As a reminder for next time, only take leaf pullings if your plant is doing really well (you can tell because it should have big traps with pinkish-reddish interiors), but if your plant begins to make a flower stalk (characterized by a large knoblike structure unlike a developing leaf), you can cut it off and treat it like a leaf pulling to get a new plant.[/QUOTE]
yeah i took them in a desperation measure to try to have plants in case the main one dies cause its my first one and seeing it all yellow-ish made me panic (positive part: it had some white bugs jumping around but when this disaster hapened they left :) )
[/QUOTE]Please give the stats of your plant, i.e. what you water it with, humidity, etc., so us at the forums can help![/QUOTE]
i water it with distiled water, spray it at night and leave a tray of water with maybe 1cm leave the plant artificial lights 12-13h per day (cause ppl seal everything) and my room is kinda humid and i leave the warmer(or whatever the thing to heat rooms is called) ON like 2m away from the plant so it gets some warm too ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. I place my pullings in a small plastic cup with live Sphagnum and fill it with rain water. The water line is filled up past the white ends of the leaves every morning. 60% humidity, 12 hours of light and they've been doing very well.

The advice from Plant Planter is 'spot on'. My only comment is that VFT's are the most prevalent 'beginner' CP on the market. It really isn't a good beginner plant at all. It has a lot of requirements that new people typically are not aware, and the instructions on the pot don't bring out. VFT's are temperate plants. They require a winter rest / dormancy. They also NEED direct sunlight and most beginners put them on window sills or grow racks or in terrariums, with artificial lighting or that which shines through the windows. It isn't enough. Being temperate, it needs to experience all 4 seasons. Finally, most new people treat them like any other houseplant and water them with tap water. Most of us have tap water that contains dissolved mineral salts, which kills them, slowly, over time. Understanding what they need, in terms of climate, water, and lighting, makes the difference between life and death.

Jimscott, thank you and yes, you're right, and Wire Man is as well. It does sound like your leaf pullings have good stats, but Venus flytraps REALLY have many needs that all have to be fulfilled.
Check out this site. It has all you need to know.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

thank you guys :) rly helpfull and my plant is rly getting greener :p... as for the seasons im trying to simulate them with moisture of the peat, the light and the warmer :)

The plant's getting greener? Wonderful! If it's pale, that's a sign of inadequate lighting. But obviously your plant does not have inadequate lighting! :D
Glad to hear that your plant's doing better!

Rule number one when propagating any plant, from any genus: use propagation material from healthy, vigorous plants only (IE: non-stressed plants). Taking cuttings etc. from weak or poorly performing plants will dramatically reduce your success rate.

hehe ty :D :p i love my plant and i check it every hour :p but the bugs r returning D: i saw some today they seem to jump when i try to touch them or spray the plant do u have any ideia of what these might be? (tiny lil white jumpy bugs)

Springtails. They're harmless.

they do nothing to the plant? :p

Springtails are 100% benign. They do absolutely NOTHING to the plant that harms it. Just leave them be--they're food! :D

Okay, I read the link. I suppose that might be good for the plant too, eating away what's already dead and whatnot. Sort of like the white fuzzy mold that grows on dead bug shells stuck to my P. primuliflora. I don't know how getting rid of something the plant doesn't need could harm it. Who knew plant food was so useful?

Back