Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update on VFT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update on VFT?

A few weeks ago got some help in trying to keep my VFT growing? I gave it more light and it seemed to be doing good but when I planted it in the soil mixture after a week it started to look bad again so now got it in the light still but got it in water this time? I have been watching it closing and if new growth appears will be first to post? Hoping it will survive not sure what is wrong with it? but still not given up on it as of yet when it turns black then will put it to rest??

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is in your soil mixture? If there's anything that has fertilizer in it, your plant will hate it more than a giraffe with a sore throat or a millipede with athlete's foot. Also, wash your media before putting your plant in it. It might just be root shock from transplanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mix one part sand one part peat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sad to say my vft did not make it... i pamper it for so long hoping some growth would come but it did not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (It would have been better to continue the conversation in the original thread, rather than starting a new redundant thread..because now we have to go back and look for the old thread to see what was going on before..)

But I found the previous thread..
    you first posted about the sickly VFT in early April..
    my immediate thought was: When did you get the VFT? and where was it growing all of last winter?
    If you have had it for awhile (since last autumn, or longer) and it spent all of last winter indoors,
    then it probably died from lack of dormancy..

But if you bought it more recently (say 3 months ago or less) it might have simply been weak
    from spending a long time in its "death cube" before you bought it..

So to figure out what most likely happened, we need more info:
    When did you buy it?
    Where did you buy it?
    Where did it spend last winter?

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry Scott but I am not good working with the computer I get help to post on the trade list do not know how to do it but I am trying to learn as I go... but as for the VFT you are so right I got it last year and it spend the winter indoors so it probably die lack of dormancy.. Newbie learn as I go so made big mistakes.. but wanted it to grow,hate when it die on me like its my fault hate that... thank you for the input I would of never thought of lacking dormancy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, sounds like a lack of dormancy then..
    but dont feel too bad! *everyone* in this hobby has had plants die!
    it happens to all of us..
    but we learn from our mistakes, and move on and do it better next time!

In your climate, Ohio, you cant keep CP's (specifically VFT's and all Sarracenia except S. purpurea)
    outside in the winter, because its too cold..
    and you cant keep any of them (including S. purpurea! indoors in a heated room on a windowsill
    all winter either, because its far too warm, and the plant wont go dormant at all..

So you need to find a middle ground..somewhere cooler than your indoor winter living space,
    yet warmer than outdoors in the winter..
    people use the fridge, a cool basement, attic, garage, etc..there are a lot of options.
    as long as its 35 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit all winter, it should work..
    I talk about it in more detail here:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

good luck! and let us know if you try another VFT!
    Spring is the best time to get a new plant..put it right outside this time of year,
    leave it out until early November, and it will be ready for dormancy when you have a place ready for it..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow the fridge method was great!! I am going to try another one.. it may be next year due to the fact on a budget and so will have to wait for a bit? I am going to sit the pot and vft in the fridge. question you do not need to water it? A member is going to send me some seeds how do I care for them? If I bother you do much about caring for the VFT let me know and I will leave you along? Thanks great help for sure now I know what I did wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast