What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknow dionaea seeds growing challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, yeah that's about body temperature. Can't germinate outside here, that dome would be in the 120's F easily and become an oven. Unless maybe I put them in the shade. I dont think artificial lighting will get them warm enough. I did once try to germinate capensis seeds in the same "jungle" pot that produced it but nothing ever came up. *shrugs*

you dont have to reach perfect sprouting condition, for myself i tryed to provide perfect temp/rh etc because its a challenge and i have to bring these lil baby to adult stade in a year or so.
but you can have pretty good germination rate with less than optimal. And i dont think i had ideal conditions.

Just sow your seeds indoor, Under t5 tubes, or next to a east faced window(morning sun), in 80%RH and temps range from 20C to 30C. I had good results in 100% peatmoss also. Its very easy, you will see :)

I do know of a light-free method that might work. It works with vegetables, fruits and most shrubbery so far. You get a container with a lid and poke a hole in the lid. I usually fold a moist paper towel around the seeds to make a "bed" in the bottom of the container but I suppose LFS could work too. Close the lid and set somewhere warm until sprouts appear. Usually only takes 4-5 days. Light might speed this up some though but I've never tried that. I've even had it work without a hole and burping the excess air out.

This is pretty amazing so far. You'll have to document your protocol and publish a write-up in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and see if others can achieve the same results. Could be very important in the conservation of this species.

You rule at this Maiden !

Great work.

Shogg: :D still w8 for the paprs btw!

Not a number: you think ? It will be the 2nd time. Last year i bring my seeds to adult stade in 14 months, but i had no log, and of course my results was contested. Thats why i make this thread :)

Gigantea: can be a good way. From my experience, cps seeds need pretty good light to germinate well, so keep me posted with your results, im curious :)

Last edited:
If I were to do that, I would do it with a small batch because I was under the same impression as well. I don't have any seeds to use though. Mine don't make seeds so I'll have to wait for some nice person who has a seeding VFT.

Salut :)

New pictures from tonight, just before closing my tubes.

Im very proud now, they will be adults pretty soon. The traps are now 0.5 inch, like my typical adults dionaea. And the spring things are very aggressive when i tilt with food. Amazing genetic matt, a big THANKS again for the seeds.

vfts seedlings fall 2013 par dals009, sur Flickr

All thèses little guys will go through winter in my terrarium at 25C/18C, 80RH%, 50/50 peat/perlite, 0ppm water, 6400k X2 24watts T5s, feeded each sunday morning.

Next pictures in MOvember :{

looking really good maiden:bigthumpup:

Wow! Looking great! Definitely some interesting plants in that bunch too. Can't wait to see them as adults. I'm sure some of them will be spectacular.

Thanks corky :)

Matt: yep, the one in the center of the pot is different, more thin, more red, and grow slower. All the others look like similar with very big traps.

I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't shown us, Frank! Kudos to you. I hope you will document your technique formally, and offer the document to the community maybe submit a paper to the ICPS newsletter?

Yes its a good idea.

Repot time !

Thèses lil guys are too bigs, too much competition for light, so i will repot them into 4 different pots.

The seedlings have now 5 months old, and have 1 inch traps.

before:

dionaea seedlings 5 months seedling, 1 inch traps. par dals009, sur Flickr

after:

vfts seedlings after repot par dals009, sur Flickr

vfts seedlings after repot par dals009, sur Flickr

Thanks for watching :)

This is amazing to watch. Thanks for sharing!!!

Spectacular results !

The crowded pot was a real pitfall !

Simply ridiculous! I've never seen anything close to that in terms of growth from seed in 5 months. They've really grown quickly over the last 4 weeks. Super impressive!

great growing maiden,they look really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back