Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Else Noticed This?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    I would have to dispute that. Dionaea is a flowering plant, it has been flowering and producing seed for millenia.
    Allowing the plant to perform it's natural cycle will only affect it negatively if the growing conditions / regime are less than optimal.
    I never remove the inflorescence unless it gets in the way.
    Many growers would dispute that!
    yes, its "natural" for a VFT to flower..same as any other plant..but its also pretty clear and obvious that flowering
    and seed production uses up a lot of energy, and if you remove the flower stalks early, that energy will not be used for
    flowering and seed production, and can instead be used for more leaf and trap production, which means more photosynthesis,
    which can result in a healthier and more robust plant..

flowering = more energy used for seed production, which does not benefit the individual plant.
    not flowering = that same energy instead used for leaf production, which does benefit that individual plant.

making seeds is good for the *species*..but not necessarily good for the individual plant..
    (In the same way, I would argue that having children is good for the human species, but not necessarily good
    for the health of the parents! actually, many women die from childbirth..and they wouldn't have died if they hadn't been pregnant.
    procreating can be a dangerous business..its a net *loss* of energy for the parent organism..

Many people have experienced VFT's dying after flowering..sure, perhaps those plants were in sub-optimal health to begin with!
    but even so, flowering was probably the one thing that pushed them over the edge..if they hadnt been allowed to flower and set
    seed, they would have had a much better chance of surviving..because a lot of CP hobbyists, especially newbies, are in fact growing plants that might not be in optimal health..
    not every VFT is in perfect growing conditions, and perfectly healthy and robust, and can flower with no problems or adverse effects..
    many of these plants can definitely benefit from having the flower stalks cut off! its a very good thing to do for a large
    percentage of CP's in captivity..

I dont think it can be disputed that flowering and seed production uses a lot of energy,
    and that cutting off the flower stalks early prevents that energy from being used for flowering and seed production.
    (you cant flower and make seeds if the flowers don't exist!

We can debate "the health of the plant matters" when it comes to flowering..and sure, it does..
    but its still a fact that cutting off the flower stalks is *good* for the mother plant overall.
    IMO that really is not debatable..

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 06-04-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Scot. The fact that flowering exhausts Dionaea is a very well documented piece of cultivation information on the species.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to dispute that. Dionaea is a flowering plant, it has been flowering and producing seed for millenia.
    Allowing the plant to perform it's natural cycle will only affect it negatively if the growing conditions / regime are less than optimal.
    I never remove the inflorescence unless it gets in the way.

I understand the point you're making, but it should be understood that reproduction almost always works to reduce individual fitness by natural selection. Although a tremendous amount of energy is used to produce the flower, it's not so much "exhaustion" as the fact that florigen inhibits vegetative growth hormones and causes cells in the shoot apical meristem to differentiate in favor of the flower. Not unlike removing the apical bud of a plant to promote axillary growth, removing the flower prevents the inhibition of auxin and cytokinins that promote leaf (or trap) production.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean that because it's been repeated many many times it is well documented? I will repeat, if the plant is grown correctly there is absolutely no reason to remove the inflorescence. If your Dionaea are becoming exhausted then I suggest you re-examine your cultural methods. The plant is not an annual in nature.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what Mato is saying, and what I would agree with, is that alothough it is completely 'natural' there are certain side effects of flowering/seeding that cause a plant to be below it's highest level of health. It's like if you asked a woman if she was 100% healthy immediately after carrying a baby around for 9 months.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    It's like if you asked a woman if she was 100% healthy immediately after carrying a baby around for 9 months.
    Have you heard about the female distance runners who win Olympic medals and break World Records after giving birth?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol this thread is going nowhere fast. agree 100% with scotty, we learned about this ad nauseum in school. true for all perennials

if my vft can run a marathon after producing seed then ill give you a gold star

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you heard about the female distance runners who win Olympic medals and break World Records after giving birth?
    I have not, actually. Would you mind linking me to these soon post-birth olympic medalists?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast