What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Anyone Else Noticed This?

(well..technically he isn't wrong..but he is only right if plants are in perfect health..
the other side of the coin is..plants are not always in perfect health..)

Scot

Now in your edit you make a good point, the same as I said in the first place I believe :D

Now in your edit you make a good point, the same as I said in the first place I believe :D

I made that edit about 2 minutes before your reply! ;)
you were probably typing your reply as I made the edit..

right..that is what you said in the first place..and I agreed with that, but then went on to suggest
there is more to the story than that, and made new points..

but then you went on to make *only* your original point again several times, without seeming
to acknowledge, or even be aware, that the rest of us also had legit points..

You are right, but you are only right about half the topic! ;)
the other half you have not acknowledged at all..
which is fine I guess..I think all the various points have now been quite well made! :)

Scot

My two cents.

I understand what Fredg is saying, but the main point I see is that we are not growing them in their natural conditions, we grow them in artificial conditions and that can make a significant difference in how they react to flowering. Apples and oranges. Most VFT growers strive for bigger traps and more prolific growth and manipulate growing conditions to achieve such, cutting flower stalks is simply one way to do this. It is also a good way to minimize stress to plants grown in suboptimal conditions.

In my personal experience, not only do they reproduce faster but also produce bigger traps after cutting the flower stalks, and makes perfect sense to me it is due to energy going to that instead of seed production even with my limited to nil scientific knowledge. I do the same with sarrs that have been recently divided, cut the flower stalks so the energy can go to repair and better pitcher production the following year. :-D

...Apples and oranges...

I agree. The thread If Your Venus Flytrap is Flowering Look Here! thread had some stuff about how most of us have habitats that are TOTALLY different from North Carolina bogs. The ones who do either live in North Carolina or have houses full of wet peat moss. I will openly admit that my Venus flytrap's living conditions are not optimum, but it's still alive, and that's what matters to me.

My typical did the same thing. This is my theory the plant makes the stem flowers then sets seed it completes its task reproducing. Now since we.cut off the flower stalk now it cant produce seed and reproduce so it does the next best thing to make more of its self it starts dividing those are my two cents what do you anybody think.

I let mine flower and they usually divide even further after doing so. Then again, mine are huge and getting optimal conditions. My low lying typical is making a carpet of traps right now and a flower stalk.

Well this was a fun read.

And I cannot decide if I am being sarcastic or not. Maybe partly. :eek:

Unfortunately the four cents that have been put in cannot buy any bubblegum.

I have to say, after enjoying a bit of Botany in school recently, Scot is a smart dude and I agree with him, but mato gets the real gold star!

Back