What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double trap mutant

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I came across this one today in a container of typical VFT recovering from division of a large clump and thought it was pretty cool. I could not resist seeing if it was functional, so tripped the hairs on one of the traps and to my surprise both traps closed. Each trap has trigger hairs on both leaves, although have to look close at the pics to see them. Unfortunately, it leaves a gap where the two traps connect for a small insect to easily escape.

9295846132_7799e4a19e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9295846222_d92df15246_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9295846304_70bc1025e1_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9295860730_0261c4a28e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9295860790_606cb78201_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Traps closing
9295846074_83c64bc321_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9295845974_192049f8a1_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9295845916_c75eb9b281_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

at least it's still functional!

might close but looks like itd be pretty easy to escape out of after initial snap.

very cool tho :D

at least it's still functional!

In the sense that it closes anyway, haha.

might close but looks like itd be pretty easy to escape out of after initial snap.

very cool tho :D

Yeah, I think I mentioned that up top about the "escape hatch" at the bottom. Also, the traps closed somewhat slower than a normal one so a bug probably would not even need to use the opening at the bottom. I wonder if that leaf would produce more of the same if pulled and planted? Probably not as I suspect the mutation was due to the stress of division and/or cutting its flower stalk, and other traps on this plant are normal. I often see anomalies in trap formation in the first one or two leaves that mature after cutting flower stalks, but never a double trap.

I love it when this happens. I've seen it in my plants a couple times over the years.

the big flashy pics distracted me from your text :p oops!

Those pics look great DJ!!

Very cool, Dj! Is that a "King Henry" flytrap?

I love it when this happens. I've seen it in my plants a couple times over the years.

First for me that I know of, will start paying more attention to them now, haha.

Those pics look great DJ!!

Thank you!

Very cool, Dj! Is that a "King Henry" flytrap?

Thank you. No, is just a common typical. Funny that Jeff showed us a double trap VFT last Saturday, were you there at that time?

Back