User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my plants - help ID?

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The buzz-tooth plant with the tall leaves (image three) looks like a Dionaea "Dentate Traps", based on my personal observations with my own plant: it produces spring leaves readily and doesn't color up as much as something such as a "Cupped Trap" plant. (If you're looking for a really colorful mutant flytrap, I can recommend that to you. It colors so easily!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the short leaf big trap look!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update.

So I decided not to stratify them. I wish I had a % of success rate... but... well... see for yourself.
    Prep work: Some plastic containers with holes drilled into the bottom and the lids. Kept soil moist and humidity/airflow pretty good. I tried to spread them out as evenly as I could with a spoon, but it didn't work as well as planned. There were hundreds of seeds, so I just used a bulk solution of trying shake a few off at a time into an area.

Germinated on: 8-10
    First set of pictures taken: 9-4. There are about 325+ sprouts. 142, 104, 112.

Second set of pictures taken on 10-9. I am incapable of counting them, but I don't see any die-off, so I assume the count is still 325+

I have no idea what I'm going to do with them all. This is my first seed harvest, and these numbers are just crazy. I think next year I'll harvest seeds, but give them away or something. I'm kind of scratching my head wondering what I'm going to do with all these youngins.
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats your soil mixture made up of? Your fly traps look flawless!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio7 View Post
    Whats your soil mixture made up of? Your fly traps look flawless!
    Thank you!
    I use Sphagnum Peat Moss and playground sand. Both found at Home Depot. The sand isn't soapy, but I give it a once-over rinsing just to make sure. I've tried vermiculite, but I dislike working with the stuff since it is so dusty.

I don't know if I'm allowed to recommend brands, but I use the following:
    Lakeland Peat Moss
    Sakrete Natural play sand.
    75% peat Moss to about 25% sand. Then I usually add more sand in if the texture still feels too loose. I like firmer soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for Maiden

How long for the stratification of the seeds is required, and surely this can be done in a freeze? So as to increase the success rate is the success rate based on the duration in the freezer. Can it be do in 24hr to 7 days what to the experts say?

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Question for Maiden

How long for the stratification of the seeds is required, and surely this can be done in a freeze? So as to increase the success rate is the success rate based on the duration in the freezer. Can it be do in 24hr to 7 days what to the experts say?

Noddy
    I don't know if I qualify as expert, but as the pictures show, no stratification at all certainly works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ridetsu

Yes no stratification is required, however I read that if you do yield increases by 60%... I am testing this as we speak... seeds in the freezer ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast