Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on the 'Fondue' Cultivar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That thing looks like it's recovering from a pest attack.....and that's the best looking one I've seen. Hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Does this cultivar flower?
    Yes, it produces flowers.
    Does it yield a high volume of seed, if so does the Progeny follow through.
    I can't answer this question for sure, but I did have two plants flower this spring. The flower stalks were thinner than the average flytrap so I suspect that they would not produce much seed. I cut them off and used them for tissue culture, so I don't know this for a fact. As for the sexually produced offspring being true-to-type, I don't know this either. I've been surprised at which traits seen in unusual flytraps seem to be easily inherited and which traits seem to be hard to pass along through sexual propagation. I might have a chance to produce some 'Fondue' seed next year and get some idea of what percentage, if any, of the offspring have the odd traps like the parent plant.
    I can't find out much about leaf pull success rate on this cultivar. How many offshoots does in provide over a season?
    It seems to divide fairly freely, and I'd suspect that it would be as easy to propagate via leaf pullings as any other flytrap.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    If this is the Dionaea cultivar you're talking about......why would you even want it ? Looks like something that should have been culled.
    *gag* I must agree. I never was fond of those hideously melted flytraps out there.

But if the plant meets specific criteria, it could be considered a cultivar. Or you could just label it as "Dionaea '(insert cultivar name here)' x self".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice looking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12