What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on the 'Fondue' Cultivar

Does this cultivar flower?
Does it yield a high volume of seed, if so does the Progeny follow through.
I can't find out much about leaf pull success rate on this cultivar.
How many offshoots does in provide over a season?

Thanks Noddy

If this is the Dionaea cultivar you're talking about......why would you even want it ? Looks like something that should have been culled.

Plants grown from seeds from a cultivar are *never* that same cultivar..they are no cultivar at all.
(unless one of them is worthy to become a cultivar in the future..but if so, it will be a *different* cultivar than its parent)
children are never identical to their parents..
you can only reproduce a cultivar vegetatively..

And I agree about it needing to be culled..
If I owned that plant, I would destroy it before it had the chance to reproduce and weaken the VFT gene pool further..
humans are really beginning to make hideously awful VFT mutants..its not a good thing IMO..
If you want to own such a plant PLEASE dont let it reproduce!
(but I know people will..to see if they can create something even worse..)

Scot

I've seen my Dioneae look like that after severe Aphid damage. Very attractive "cultivar"! LOL

I kind of like it, would I want it over a B52 of course not but it's different.

1-IMG_8343.jpg

just to clarify on the whole what makes a cultivar thing which has been discussed to death in many threads. Seedgrown plants from a particular cultivar can still be that cultivar as long as a few conditions are met, the first being that the original cultivar description allows for seed propagation as an acceptable form of propagation (this is rare, at least in the CP world), the second is that the resulting seedgrown progeny have the unique trait(s) described in the original cultivar description. Again this situation is rare and it does not typically apply to VFTs. Just wanted to clarify :-D

That thing looks like it's recovering from a pest attack.....and that's the best looking one I've seen. Hahaha

Does this cultivar flower?
Yes, it produces flowers.
Does it yield a high volume of seed, if so does the Progeny follow through.
I can't answer this question for sure, but I did have two plants flower this spring. The flower stalks were thinner than the average flytrap so I suspect that they would not produce much seed. I cut them off and used them for tissue culture, so I don't know this for a fact. As for the sexually produced offspring being true-to-type, I don't know this either. I've been surprised at which traits seen in unusual flytraps seem to be easily inherited and which traits seem to be hard to pass along through sexual propagation. I might have a chance to produce some 'Fondue' seed next year and get some idea of what percentage, if any, of the offspring have the odd traps like the parent plant.
I can't find out much about leaf pull success rate on this cultivar. How many offshoots does in provide over a season?
It seems to divide fairly freely, and I'd suspect that it would be as easy to propagate via leaf pullings as any other flytrap.

If this is the Dionaea cultivar you're talking about......why would you even want it ? Looks like something that should have been culled.

*gag* I must agree. I never was fond of those hideously melted flytraps out there.

But if the plant meets specific criteria, it could be considered a cultivar. Or you could just label it as "Dionaea '(insert cultivar name here)' x self".

Back