What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT roots, how deep?

• Thread starter Keith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
Hi guys, I am wondering if any of you have grown VFT's enough to give me an idea how deep its roots will go? I recently picked up a half dozen that I want to pot together in a nice little group, but I cant seem to decide what container to go with. The stores always seem to sell them in 2" - 3" deep containers, so I am wondering if they need any more depth than that?

I recommend about a 1 quart or 6" pot for a mature plant and a 3-4" pot for immature flytraps. Flytraps rarely need more than a 6" pot unless they're insanely old/large. Just make sure it's tall enough that the crowns of the plants can be kept 1-2" above water when set into a tray.

While small flytraps may not "need" deeper pots, in my experience they grow much better with a lot of vertical room for their roots to stretch down. If space and the amount of soil isn't an issue, don't limit yourself to anything smaller than a 8 inch deep pot. They'll appreciate the depth and make quite a display when they fill the pot.

I second what Matt says. I have grown flytraps in small containers and large ones and have found that there roots would go as deep as the pot would let them. In fact, I have repotted some plants that had roots longer than eight inches or so.

Whether or not longer roots increases their vigor much I cannot say. I don't see how it hurts, however, and I prefer the extra soil mass for tray watering and winter dormancy. I grow most of my flytraps in cheapy foam beer coolers and don't have to water them from October to May most years in my area.

Back