User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else experienced this? - VFT plants die back but produce loads of offshoots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else experienced this? - VFT plants die back but produce loads of offshoots

Well, I have to admit that I haven't got much time to keep an eye on my plants for the past few years so they are mostly on "survival mode" i.e. light and water only with no TLC. But when I looked for my VFT 'Bristle Tooth' plants yesterday, I realised that the whole container of them are GONE! Each of them was replaced by many small plants/plantlets in clumps, being camouflaged mostly by the sphagnum as well as the bog club moss.

The VFT 'Cross Teeth' did a similar thing but it wasn't as drastic in the sense that I still have plants around but they are like half the size of the adult. So that rules out the possibility that bog club moss is bad for VFT....LOL

Could it be the fact that these plants were TCed and kinda went bonkers? Or has anyone observed similar behaviour due to climate/weather conditions?

TIA!
    Last edited by Cindy; 10-15-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my whole job 9-5 is re-potting flytraps and I find this to be common whenever they go through some kind of environmental stresser. If the moss is packed in too tight or they go a little too long with improper watering/light they tend to die back and focus their energy into producing many offshoots. Also I would say TC might have an effect on this but I doubt it. At work I re-pot both TC plants and seed grown and I see this happening equally to both. We usually just un-pot the flytrap, divide it into however many babies it produced and re-pot them individually. Good way to double your collection lol :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of mine do this and others don't. I have a pot of Colorado Giant that this year never got larger than spring out-of-dormancy plantlets. Came back as a large clump in spring and never did anything else. Last year it was putting out 2" traps. Nothing changed afaik. This year has been milder than last year so I doubt it was any environmental stresser as a cause. I think it's pests.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input! I am getting A LOT of offshoots and little plants. LOL

My concern will be them dividing themselves to death. They haven't gotten their dormancy rest ever since they arrived last August because I live in year round humid tropical conditions.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KNepenthe View Post
    Well my whole job 9-5 is re-potting flytraps and I find this to be common whenever they go through some kind of environmental stresser. If the moss is packed in too tight or they go a little too long with improper watering/light they tend to die back and focus their energy into producing many offshoots. Also I would say TC might have an effect on this but I doubt it. At work I re-pot both TC plants and seed grown and I see this happening equally to both. We usually just un-pot the flytrap, divide it into however many babies it produced and re-pot them individually. Good way to double your collection lol :P
    Hi KNepenthe,

Forgot to ask...why and when do you repot the plants (of course, other than it being your job LOL)?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I studied my set-ups (below) and think that like you said, the moss is packed in too tight. I water from the top all the time as the containers are undrained. The sphagnum moss is trimmed back but I find today that the layer just below the top inch or so is pretty squishy-mushy (though not rotten) and compact.

Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The three main reasons we re-pot are because 1. The plants are too crowded in a single pot and need to be divided up 2. The planting mix (We use pure LFS) is packed too tight or 3. We had to un-pot multiple plants to get the one desired for a customer out :P We do our re-poting year round but all the flytraps are in a cold frame so their dormancy is shorter than usual.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine do the same thing in a standard peat/perlite/sand mix. Not even LFS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast