What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Dormancy Question~

Hello!

I recently just got back into CP's, and got a Venus Fly Trap about two months ago, among others. I realize it is now time for it to go into a dormancy period, but I was wondering if the fridge method was necessary in my case? I live in NorCal, Santa Clara area, and the temperature during the winter is mid 60s to low 70s during the day and mid to high 30s to 50s at night (depending on the month, lower averages are Dec/Jan). Frost is occasional/rare. I have been doing quite a bit of reading, and am not unwilling to do the fridge method, however if I can leave it outside to hit it's 3month dormancy I'd rather do that. It gets pretty solid fall/winter sunlight, about 5 hours a day now, will be getting less in a month or so.

Thanks!!

Kevin~

Your temps sound pretty close to their natural conditions. I think it will be fine if just left outside.

Your temps sound pretty close to their natural conditions. I think it will be fine if just left outside.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks! I'll probably keep looking around, but unless I'm told otherwise via hard info I'm probably gonna try leaving them out for the winter.

=D

I leave mine outside year round in my bogs in Boston so, if it's the cold you're worried about.......don't sweat it.

I agree! I wouldn't worry about them there. VFT are tougher than people give them credit for. When it dips below 30F I sometimes put a trash bag over mine. Tonight mine are covered with trash bags as the low will be 25F. I did the same last night because it was 24F.

Mine have seen temperatures well below that for longer time periods. The colder it gets, the more foliage they loose, but it will not kill them. Just make sure they are moist but not wet, but also ensure they don't dry out past the first half inch or so soil. Dry soil plus really cold air equals death, but it shouldn't be a concern with your temps.

As always, your mileage may vary; this is in my experience. I keep my VFTs much dryer throughout the year than some.

Back