Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lighting and dormant flytraps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duzu View Post
    Hi! I put my flytraps and two sarrs in dormancy to our basement first day of September and I wonder if I could bring them out. They have been there over 5 months... I have 2x18W daylight lights because we still dont have spring here. Temps around -10C and days are 8 hours long.

Sorry kinda off topic :/
    O_o -10? That's pretty low here in chicago I only bring my plants in the garage because temps go below 10F for long periods of time. 5 months is a long time but that's around how long mine are in dormancy maybe even 6 months December through May. Do you plan on growing them under lights or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had nights down to -25C last month.. Thats called Finland, yeah. Im not planning to grow them indoors but I thought that since they have been so long time dormant should it harm them. Last year I took them from basement around this time and my sarrs grew all wonky leaves because they didnt have enought light. Not going to repeat that but since our winter takes 6 months I can not do it "all american style" I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants (VFT's and Sarrs) go into their "winter dormancy spot" (a basement stairwell) every year right around November 1st.
    That is the end of Autumn and the start of Winter in Western NY.

I used to bring them out of dormancy in the middle of February, which was 3.5 months of dormancy..
    long enough for the plants, but not long enough for Winter in these parts!
    In mid-February, Winter isnt even thinking about being done..Winter lasts 5 months..
    It is the entire months of November, December, January, February, and March.

Bringing the plants out of dormancy in mid-February has been less than ideal, because the plants are then
    forced to come out of dormancy indoors..where it is FAR too dark, even in the brightest windows I have..

So a few years ago I tried a new experiment: simply leaving the plants alone, dormant, in their "Fridge Method" basement stairwell,
    until they can go outside! which is usually early April..Thats 5 solid months of dormancy! longer than they need,
    but it hasnt harmed them..I think I have been doing it this way for 2 or three winters now..its working!
    and im going to do it again for this spring..

Details on my dormancy methods:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco...CP/page5c.html

Scot

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your website. Your plant have come a long way! Is it not updated anymore? The Sarracenia minor at the end reminded me of the one I had for a few years. It never flowered for me though. 5 months is a really long dormancy! I think my plants are dormant for at most 3 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I really like your website. Your plant have come a long way! Is it not updated anymore? The Sarracenia minor at the end reminded me of the one I had for a few years. It never flowered for me though. 5 months is a really long dormancy! I think my plants are dormant for at most 3 months.
    Thanks!
    no, I dont update it every year..
    although this spring will be my 20th year of growing CP's!
    So I was thinking of adding a new page this year, just to take a look at the collection in year number 20.
    So, I might add a new page! not a lot is new though since the last update in 2008/2009.
    my collection has basically stabilized to some favorite plants, and I dont want it to get any bigger..
    in fact, I wouldn't mind if it was a touch smaller..I might have some plants to trade this spring..

Scot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12