Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lighting and dormant flytraps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lighting and dormant flytraps

Cant seem to be able to find a solid answer on lighting and dormancy I guess what im looking to find out how critical light is during winter dormancy. Im in ny and its not unusal to see subzero temperatures so year round outdoor growth is not possible. If a flytrap gets hit with a good frost and is defoliated I would assume a dark cool winter wouldn't hurt? I don't have much room for artificial lighting and the South facing window stays too warm inside. Any suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry to much about it. Temp and airflow are much more important during dormancy. Alot of people actually put plants in a fridge for dormancy. So if you can find a nice cool place to store them with any light at all, you should be just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregoncp View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about it. Temp and airflow are much more important during dormancy. Alot of people actually put plants in a fridge for dormancy. So if you can find a nice cool place to store them with any light at all, you should be just fine.
    +1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put it somewhere dark, you should check it periodically to make sure it doesn't get fungus, which can happen if they are kept too wet and there is no air circulation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have no winter here and many of us give the temperate CPs "dry dormancy". The plants are placed at a shady place for 2-3 months with minimal watering (ambient humidity is high). Personally, I've done it for VFT and it works. Currently, the Calopogon tuberosus is undergoing the same treatment. The tubers remain green and seem to be getting larger in dormancy...even with the low light level.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great thanks guys for clearing this up for me. I just love straight forward answers. Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as everyone else said, lighting isn't really too important during the winter. My flytraps are sitting in my garage right now, I just periodically check them for fungus spray them with a fungicide, add some water to their tray if it's empty but that's about it. The big thing is watching for fungus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I put my flytraps and two sarrs in dormancy to our basement first day of September and I wonder if I could bring them out. They have been there over 5 months... I have 2x18W daylight lights because we still dont have spring here. Temps around -10C and days are 8 hours long.

Sorry kinda off topic :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast