Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funky Flowers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deryl View Post
    Ok, I definitely can't top the funky behavior in the picture above, but I do have another question about flowering. Each VFT only puts out a single flower stalk, correct? Last year I bought a couple VFT's, and this year, it looks like one of the plants is sending up a double flower stalk. Since I am fairly new at this, I am assuming that there are actually 2 plants in this pot right next to each other, and each is sending up its own flower? I have examined the traps & might be able to convince myself that there are 2 different sizes, but I wondered if anyone had seen this and could tell me different.

And yes, I have read all the info about possible death to the plant by letting it flower, but I have a number of other VFT plants & I figure, what the heck, let's live dangerously ... the worst that could happen? It would give me an excuse to buy a couple more plants ;-)
    Each VFT plant grows from a bulblike stem below ground. This bulb may divide into several connected rosettes (or ''crowns"). Usually the youngest crowns will have smaller leaves than the older ones. Each crown will send up its own flower stalk when it's mature. It's a good bet that your double-stalked plant is actually one genetically identical plant sending up two stalks. This can exhaust your plant, so I would remove at least one flower stalk. Many growers would suggest removing both. I recommend, if you plan to keep your stalks, to ensure that you are providing both bright/full light and ample feeding. Usually the VFTs that flower to death were in suboptimal growing conditions (IMO). I lost two VFTs last year right as they were making seeds just because I neglected feeding. I get almost 16 hours of unobstructed sun in the summer, but I never fertilized or fed bugs to the traps at all. The traps just kept getting smaller and smaller until the plants died--the seeds had only ripened halfway, too.
    Last edited by theplantman; 03-30-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I would agree that the 2nd stalk is from a genetically identical plant, so I plan to cut one off. My plants are grown indoors with ~ 17 hrs of light per day. I have already started to feed the traps following the instructions found here (http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...dingDBWSBS.php), and usually I get lots of volunteer insects during the summer that are attracted by the lights, but I will keep an eye on them any way. Thanks again for the help.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test to see if the trap is functional

Yup!

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool that it works. I am personally very interested in seeing how the yellow/green coloration patterns change in response to the feeding.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Test to see if the trap is functional
    Yup!
    What did you feed it?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad the traps don't feed on air . . . why not try feeding something like a bug?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thought I was alone here! I've had the same thing happen with two plants I discovered just a few minutes ago and was coming on to make a thread about it.

The planet actually looks pretty healthy. The stalk had no stall, it just came right up. Same with the other plant but I couldn't get as good a picture of it. The flowers haven't even opened yet.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 05-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast