Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little help

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been great suggestions made and I believe if you are providing full sun, clean water, and have the plant in peat/sand then you are doing everything right.

The problem is that all the flytraps you can buy from big box stores are poorly grown. They do not acclimate well to proper conditions. The problem is the source of where you purchased the plant and ultimately the grower's fault. You've done nothing wrong and in all likelihood your plant will survive and resprout. Don't give up!

I recommend however, if it does die, to not be afraid of trying again. All of the people on this forum have had a few false starts when it comes to growing these awesome plants. If your plant dies I would suggest (1) seeing if anyone on the forum has spare flytraps to send you for shipping costs and (2) buy healthy, well-grown plants from a vendor who is experienced in growing these plants, like flytrapshop.com!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants from the garden centers such as Lowe's should be acclimated to full sunlight as well. They've been sitting in dark cartons for weeks and out of direct sunlight in the stores for many more weeks. You can usually first see evidence of sunburn on the white portions of the leaf bases near the growth point. The sunburned areas will turn reddish. More severe sunburn will show on the "spine" and edges of the petioles and the sides of the traps. Again these will be reddened areas and will eventually turn black.

Depending on how robust the plant was to begin with the plants will recover in two to six weeks depending on the severity of the burn. I've seen all the leaves burn off in the course of 1-2 weeks. The first few new leaves may have stunted or even missing traps but again the plant can recover.

I always put garden center flytraps in shade and gradually increase the amount of direct sunlight they get over a 1-2 week time period - much depends on the condition of the plant to begin with.

Humidity isn't that much of a concern since they practically never get watered in the stores.

Here is some sunburn (center of the photo). You can see how the white portions of the leaf bases have reddened (magenta in the photo). I changed how the leaves were crossed over for this photo - you can see an untanned/burned strip where the other leaf provided shade. The larger trap on the right is also burned. Compare to the coloring of the developing trap from another plant on the upper left.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 05-09-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been doing more reading online And I really want to be able to grow these plants maybe I'll try to buy some online. I also been reading in sundews they seem really cool to grow also. Are they easy to grow? Thanks again for all the help every one is giving me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many sundews that are very easy to grow. D. capensis and D. spatulata are great to start with.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia are also great for your climate. You can grow them in a sunny spot outside year-round, and all you need to do is give them water and they'll do great.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I have been doing more reading online And I really want to be able to grow these plants maybe I'll try to buy some online. I also been reading in sundews they seem really cool to grow also. Are they easy to grow? Thanks again for all the help every one is giving me.
    Sundews are great to grow, they're lots of fun. There's lots of information on how to grow them at Grow Sundews. I also have a blog that focuses on sundews, which you might find useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your help
     photo 81A649E8-556A-441B-A75D-CDBE08A2184C_zpsoi29zjyx.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
     photo DE327F20-6A6A-4399-9F0F-12013841EAC0_zpsxs5fdfgz.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast