Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little help

Hi I need some help. I bought a venus fly trap from lowes for me and my kids. The first one died so I did a little bit of reading. And bought another one this one is starting to look like it might be dying also. I planted it in peat and silica sand. what can I do to keep them alive.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of water are you giving it? All carnivorous plants need purified water that is free of minerals, such as rain water, distilled water, or reverse osmosis water. They also need a lot of light to grow well. I would also make sure that the peat you are using doesn't have additional fertilizers added.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, what are the conditions you are growing it in? Second, what is the light level you are growing it in? VFTs need full Sun, and should be grown outside. Third, do you have any photos of it? It would make it much easier to help you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally, I wouldn't recommend a Venus flytrap for young kids. The plant can get stressed from closing its traps too much and being over fed, and young children often like seeing them move so much that they can't stop messing with the plant. Also, they have a dormancy for the winter, something a lot of people forget about.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using distilled water, the peat I bought is 100% sphagnum peat moss. There in the sun most of the day is to much sun bad?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will take as much sun as you can give them, so it is not a problem. If the older leaves are dying off that is normal for plants adjusting to new growing conditions. Can you describe what is wrong with the plants? Also, if you are watering them try not to get water into the traps, which will probably trigger them.
    Last edited by Tanukimo; 05-06-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling and additional information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of peat are you using? Is it in a small bag? It could have fertilizer in it.
    One more thing, I highly recommend purchasing The Savage Garden if you haven't already. It is a very good book that has almost every bit of information you would need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Savage Garden is the single best tool you can have for growing any kind of carnivorous plants, so what Bio said. How are you watering them? Try a tray method (have the pot sitting in a tray of distilled/ reverse osmosis H2O) rather than overhead watering. Also ditto on messing with the traps. If you stick your hands in the traps, they close, draining energy from the plant. After a few times closing, the traps die off.
    The dormancy is a good thing to remember too. These plants need to go dormant over the winter. They do so in their natural environment and they don't have enough energy to grow year-round.
    Last edited by Iwest; 05-06-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast