User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with the sun? ( whats up with all the terrariums and greenhouses")

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not tried growing flaytraps before - they sound very exciting! I'll have to see if I can locate one.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I've not tried growing flaytraps before - they sound very exciting! I'll have to see if I can locate one.
    Have care if you should succeed, Paul. They can be vicious!
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow some indoors all year round and some outdoor all year round. The ones indoor actually do better than the ones outdoors. But you are right, the sun is free and you are not using resources the produce much CO2.

There are many practical reasons to grow them indoors. One may not have access to an area where they can be grown outdoors. Or the plants could get stolen. A few years ago one member didn't want to grow his/her VFTs outside because he/she was afraid they would get stolen. The "you have to grow VFTs outdoors" crowd bullied the member into growing them outdoors and guess what - the plants got stolen.

Venus Flytraps have high recognition value and make tempting targets for neighborhood kids or passerbys.

See also:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-What-a-bummer!
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, I live in an area not too dissimilar to their habitat, so I do grow mine outside all year round. Even in the winter, I can stick them in the garage to protect them from deep-freezes, while still letting them have a natural dormancy.

That being said...there are VFT's in my terrarium atm. I like to think of them as being in post-op recovery. They'll be back outside in two shakes of a Drosera tentacle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12