Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newly acquired VFTs under T5 and LED

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, best collection in Singapore I bet.... you gonna need a mini fridge just for your dormancy requirements :P

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say both. I know typical VFTs have a period where they make tall leaves and rosette leaves, but when given intense light, the growth becomes compact and the petiole becomes thick and the trap is generally bigger than the petioles. How far are they away from the LED? Can you get them in any closer? Even halving the distance between lights and plants will increase the intensity by almost 100%. You can try that. Also preventing light escape by surrounding the plants and light with mylar will help in reflect all light back to the plants.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the prominent red crescent shaped stripe seen on the traps of the G4xG37.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I would say both. I know typical VFTs have a period where they make tall leaves and rosette leaves, but when given intense light, the growth becomes compact and the petiole becomes thick and the trap is generally bigger than the petioles. How far are they away from the LED? Can you get them in any closer? Even halving the distance between lights and plants will increase the intensity by almost 100%. You can try that. Also preventing light escape by surrounding the plants and light with mylar will help in reflect all light back to the plants.
    Hi Varun,

I will lower the LED light and see how things go but the T5 fixtures are kinda permanent unless I stack the containers on top of a low rack or something. I have grown VFTs for many years but never one plant long enough to notice the cycle of growth because they all die after 6 months due to their dormancy needs. Also, I didn't seem to have the right temperature in the fridge to tide them over their dormancy. Until recently. Now I have half of my collection in the vegetable compartment and will take them out to grow when the current ones are ready to go in.

The B52s are with me the longest...as they have grown 3 seasons under T5s, undergone dormancy in the fridge for 3 months and is now back out growing under T5s. What I have noticed is that they seem to be following an internal clock and went dormant despite being under T5s. They went dormant in November last year and I took them out in February this year. Interestingly, the Red Dragons went dormant in March/April under identical conditions as they are from Down Under. Despite consistent light levels under T5s (fixed at 12 hours daily), the plants still showed signs of dormancy.

If the light intensity is high enough, were your plants able to remain compact and have big traps? Or could they skip dormancy altogether? TIA!
    Last edited by Cindy; 07-07-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome collection!
    Nepenthes Ampullaria, Spectabilis Sibuatan, Peltata, X Miranda, Ventricosa, Spathulata,
    and Veitchii x spectibilis
    Cephalotus Follicularis Typical, unknown, and Czech Giant.
    Dionaea Muscipula Ginormous, B52, Red Piranha, Bohemian Garnet, Gremlin, Dente, King Henry and Big Mouth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been 4 weeks...Every photo has an * to indicate new growth from 4 weeks ago and @ to indicate flower stalk. Getting these photos ready is like playing "spot the difference"!

Under T5s

Under LEDs
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are so beautiful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the G7 x G14 flower stalk. So cool!!!

And the G4 x G37 trap.
    Last edited by Cindy; 08-07-2014 at 07:38 AM.
    Cindy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast