Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newly acquired VFTs under T5 and LED

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newly acquired VFTs under T5 and LED

The plants have been under artificial lights for 3 weeks since they arrived. Every 2nd photo has an * to indicate new growth.

Under T5s (On average, each plant lost about 3 leaves i.e. blackened, then removed. And produced about 2-3 new leaves)

Under LEDs (The plants did not lose any leaf i.e. no blackening at all. And produced 3-4 leaves each!)

Cindy

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, Cindy! I'm not familiar with those crosses in the last group. Are there any all-red varieties among them?
    Last edited by bluemax; 07-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using LEDs with good results also, any info on which ones your using?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Good stuff, Cindy! I'm not familiar with those crosses in the last group. Are there any all-red varieties among them?
    I don't have much info on what they are except that they likely originated from a European source (check out http://www.vftshop.com/) and that "G" is probably for "Giant". The plants are distinctly much larger across the whole plant than the other forms. There are also more details about them on the Triffid Park website.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I've been using LEDs with good results also, any info on which ones your using?
    The LED lamp I have is 7W and has 200 LEDs (9R:1B). I bought it for fun...personally, I prefer looking at plants under white light...but my T5s are 39W each and I wouldn't like to increase the electrical bill again. This is a round lamp but the next one I will try is the T8 LEDs for plants.

What I am surprised by, is that there is no dead leaf. These were potted up on the same day as the other forms and I had originally wanted to have one set under each of the lights ...but thought that perhaps I should experiment with the GxGs other than the ones with actual names! In the end, the growth rate seems faster under the LEDs, with no dead leaf at all.

What is your LED Red and Blue ratio like? I am a little confused as I read that B is for leaf growth and R is for flowering. But the manufacturer of the LED lamp showed impressive results of a VFT under 9R:1B....that's why I bought it.
    Last edited by Cindy; 07-06-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best details I got about the GxGs are here: http://www.vftshop.com/growlist.html
    Cindy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    What is your LED Red and Blue ratio like? I am a little confused as I read that B is for leaf growth and R is for flowering. But the manufacturer of the LED lamp showed impressive results of a VFT under 9R:1B....that's why I bought it.
    I'm mainly using 3 versions of white LEDs, I do have a small test setup with 2R/2B just to see how they compare to the whites. I just don't like the R/B look when I walk past my plants but the Cephs growing under them are doing just fine. Without physically moving the plants from the R/B area I couldn't tell you if they were dead or alive. The LEDs I'm using are CREE and run about 1-1.5W per LED.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Cindy. Nice comparison. One concern would be the size of the petiole... it seems to be getting bigger. Perhaps increasing the quantity of the light will help with more colour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varun, are you referring to the ones under T5s or the LEDs or both? And is increasing in size of the petioles indicative of insufficient light? The plants were in cool conditions before I got them so I suspect they think it's summer now...a couple are throwing out longer petioles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast