User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naturalizing and propagating VFTs on private acreage in FL- pointers pls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, I had no idea you had that much land to work with! That sounds fine if you contain them to that one spot, which they'll probably do by themselves. Very heavy seeds for their size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say spread em far and wide! Does anybody really expect them to not go extinct if we were to let them fend for themselves in their tiny locale of north carolina? as far as venus flytraps are concerned, I think naturalizing them in many different places is a good way to go

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not a responsible method, spreading nonnative species in vast places ruins the natural flora and fauna and opens the possibility of Dionaea ending up in a place where they could be invasive (not likely, but possible). Proper management of where they are native is possible, and just because you naturalize a species somewhere does not mean it belongs there or will survive long term.
    Personal property in a small location is understandable, it's not unlike having a bog garden, but letting a species spread in a large location would be highly irresponsible.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with hcarlton
    Last edited by jafvortex93; 09-20-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: unnecessarily long post
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Dionaea will definitely not go extinct ex-situ – tissue culture and the CP hobby will ensure that. There's no need to change the character of other bogs by introducing a non-native.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of it in a more long term sort of way. when you consider the scope of all that humanity has already done, it seems a little "late" to be worrying about where venus flytraps grow.. I like to think of earth a sort of long running biological experiment. It has had extinction events before but in those most things just died. Humans are changing the climate and spreading species thousands of miles beyond what they would ever be capable of doing on their own. we are even creating new biomes (cities and such) Nothing like it has ever happened before. when you think about it that way it's pretty incredible.

I still care about stuff, don't get me wrong. I just don't see a lot of things as such a big deal as a lot of people make them out to be

Just imagine the earth as an exotic, old rotten fruit floating through space that never disintegrates until the sun goes dormant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12