User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naturalizing and propagating VFTs on private acreage in FL- pointers pls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturalizing and propagating VFTs on private acreage in FL- pointers pls

Hello all,

I am considering attempting to naturalize a population of VFTs in my front yard here in the swamp in NE Florida. I already have pings and sundews growing in that part of the yard and I have several sarrs growing elsewhere as well. There are also bladderworts in the swamp at the back of my acreage. All of the currently present plants are natives.

I feel with my prime habitat, I won't be hurting anything by introducing the VFTs as the land can more than support it.

What I would like pointers on is the following; what cultivar would:

Be vigorous
    Be hardy
    Stay low growing (to survive the regular mowing like the pings and sundews do)
    Preferably be red in order to be easy to find
    Breed and spread on it's own; I do NOT want sterile cultivars

Thanks for the heads up! VFTs would really round out the carnivorous species here IMO. I'd like to make this happen next spring.
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low Giant might work. Mine was very red when I got it, but did lose some of that. But the nice thing is the traps lay flat all year, unlike my typicals which tend to put the traps straight up in the summer. Can't vouch as to whether it's sterile or not though.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I didn't know there were sterile VFT cultivars. I'll have to google this and find out more. Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like an amazing project! Its like a terrarium in your own backyard!

Please keep us updated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know there were sterile VFT cultivars. I'll have to google this and find out more. Thanks for the heads up.
    There may not be. This is the type of information that I was hoping to glean lol. If they will all flower, pollinate and produce viable seeds then I suppose my search will become quite a bit easier lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    This sounds like an amazing project! Its like a terrarium in your own backyard!

Please keep us updated!
    I will! Someone had previously asked me for pics of the Yard o' Pings; I've yet to deliver. I've been in the busy season at work so the internet and my own projects have taken a back seat. As work slows down and the temperatures cool, hopefully my own endeavors will have more time!
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why ruin a natural bog with a non-indigenous species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Why ruin a natural bog with a non-indigenous species?
    Its not the wild areas in which I'm planning to do this- its my front yard. From the point of view of preserving the natural state, I'm sure the now-natualized and no longer managed 20 year established St. Augustine has done infinitely more damage than some VFTs would.

I've got 10.5 acres; I don't feel guilty about using a small chunk of the front one acre yard for a project like this.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW there is a naturalized population of Dionaea muscipula in the Hosford Bog, Liberty County, Florida (Panhandle-Gulf). These were probably introduced during the 1970's. Given the right conditions and left undisturbed Venus Flytraps will do very well but perhaps not on an "invasive" level. For one thing these plants have high recognition value and often get removed legally or otherwise for whatever reasons.

You can read about the Hosford Bog and other CP locations in this blog:
    http://floraofohio.blogspot.com/2014...venus-fly.html
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast