Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Historic Year for Flytrap Conservation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About my signature: The ability to control fire was one of, if not the very first step humans made towards civilization. I (and I believe any serious person) would consider that a very good thing. However fire out of control I (and again, I believe any serious person) would consider a very bad thing. All Mr Washington did was identify the fundamental nature of how government works, and notice and point out how fire and government are identical in the dichotomy of being both good and bad.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 01-08-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    ... & nobody's gonna catch me ...
    I'm sure these 4 thought the very same thing when they started!
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I'm sorry but I fail to see how placing a dollar value on the plants makes any positive difference. It definitely will give people ideas about easy money, but as far as deterrence? The punishment itself, be it fines, incarceration, etc is the deterrent. The placing of a high dollar amount does nothing else except perhaps stir up emotions in some people, and emotions are a truly poor basis for laws and punishment. This is because the emotional reaction of people to a given stimulus varies greatly. I can guarantee that a vast majority of people would not wish to live under laws based upon my emotions, anymore than I would wish to live under laws based upon theirs. The only rational basis for laws is the violation of rights, and the only rational basis for punishment is the relative severity of the violation.
    I see no upside to it either, but it does likely increase the media attention. Just not necessarily in a good way, it likely mostly results in just giving people bad ideas. The penalty and reason for it being a crime are what should be focused on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow this is quite a story. Felony charges... Those guys can't go to Canada anymore! Looks like they wont be able to poach fur seals in the off-season.

It's good to hear that wetlands protection are putting people in jail. I wish there were was this level of governmental protection for all the endangered ecosystems of the world. . .

The comments on that article though; I am amazed and frightened that there are such people that feel the need to say the things that they did there.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe the apathy these people show towards this unique species responding to the news article. I worked with endangered species for several years and I have seen a indifference or annoyance attitude from the public on many species, but usually the public rallies around the more "charismatic" unique species which the Venus Flytrap certainly is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get caught poaching an endangered species, you shouldn't have to pay a fine, no! You should have to submit to having a finger or two cut off. That's what I call a deterrent!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trap for a hand, I say! Get them!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123