Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Historic Year for Flytrap Conservation

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Historic Year for Flytrap Conservation

Poachers are being charged with felonies for attempting to steal ~900 flytraps from a preserve in NC. This is the first enforcement of the state's new flytrap felony law.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...fast?p=1&tc=pg
    http://www.wwaytv3.com/2015/01/05/fo...flytrap-thefts
    http://www.wect.com/story/27776371/w...venus-flytraps

Feel completely free to add anecdotes, opinions, further articles as you find them, etc.

....and make sure y'all do a dance to celebrate!! I am so ridiculously proud of the state of North Carolina!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellente !

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gd. its about time

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is wonderful news! Not only a good law but good enforcement! I can't but wonder where the perps were intending on selling them...
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the estimated value in the 3rd article of the haul, at least for the poachers is a bit off. $15,000.00 would put the plants at being worth between $10.00 and $20.00 each (depending on the REAL number of plants), which is at the very high end of retail. I can't imagine that these 4 "gentlemen" would stand to make more than $.50 per plant to whomever they planned on selling them to. The risk here is certainly not worth the meager reward (to be split 4 ways I can only assume). I hope this incident sets an example to any future would be poachers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I think the estimated value in the 3rd article of the haul, at least for the poachers is a bit off. $15,000.00 would put the plants at being worth between $10.00 and $20.00 each (depending on the REAL number of plants), which is at the very high end of retail. I can't imagine that these 4 "gentlemen" would stand to make more than $.50 per plant to whomever they planned on selling them to. The risk here is certainly not worth the meager reward (to be split 4 ways I can only assume). I hope this incident sets an example to any future would be poachers.
    Also was wondering about the 15 grand. They said there were enough plants to fill a trash bag, backpack, and pillow sack. Also looked in one of the photos like a few might be Sarracenia purp ssp. venosa.

However, if the state wants to value them at more than 50 cents apiece, I'm down with that. Add in their worth in terms of genetic diversity and ecology and they're priceless in my thinking.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the comments on the second link
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.wwaytv3.com/2015/01/05/fo...comment-259919 Commentary on the four plant pilferers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast