What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Horror...The Horror (of Mutant Flytraps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't break out the scissors just yet subrosa I said I would take one not pay a out rages price for one I see all you seen in my post was money

Morpheus I like the way you put that my feelings exactly

Don't break out the scissors just yet subrosa I said I would take one not pay a out rages price for one I see all you seen in my post was money

Morpheus I like the way you put that my feelings exactly

Although I admit to placing no aesthetic value to the plant , the fact that it has monetary value is the only reason I wouldn't grind one into the ground like some might. That should figure in somewhere when you judge me! Since I would derive no pleasure from growing such a plant for its own sake, I would consider caring for it a job and you would naturally want any job to pay a living wage, right? That would require my receiving an amount of money inordinate to my own estimation, so I guess we won't be doing business anytime soon. Of course since I'm currently out of stock on abominations, the point is moot. Pleasant chatting with you!

Thank you Morpheus, you iterated what I was trying to say better than I was able to.

Any time I see people hating on anything, be it a plant, a pop-star, other forum members, politics, or whatever, I always wonder, what could be happening instead of hate? Probably something much more positive. If you don't like the mutant fly traps so much, it's fine to not grow them, but if you're going to throw it away or kill it, why not just post it as a giveaway on the forums instead? There are probably tons of hobbyists who would love to grow these types of plants and would be over-joyed to receive one. If it's a moral hardline against mutant organisms who no longer fill their ecological niche due to man-made intervening be it through selective breeding, genetic modification, or otherwise, then there are a multitude of organisms which deserve an equally discriminating perspective as I have already mentioned previously.

Also, I wasn't aware that every "abominable" flytrap was a result of mutant TC efforts (even if it is, my point still remains due to the points that morpheus brought up).

The analogy of a headless dog is moot because we all know that animals can't survive without heads (for very long [or without life support]), whereas plants can live without portions of their leaves, especially their traps, as long as they have a means to photosynthesize and uptake nutrients and water through their roots.

I think this debate (which has occurred many times on this forum, and will re-occur many times to come) gets so heated because, for most of us, the venus flytrap was one of our first introductions to the hobby and its trapping mechanism is so clearly unique and amazing - it's easy to see why people are passionate about keeping their childhood vision of the iconic species preserved. Alas, the world is changing and people who breed plants will almost always keep and propagate the most novel of their offspring. Thus: Post #22

Thank you Morpheus, you iterated what I was trying to say better than I was able to.

Any time I see people hating on anything, be it a plant, a pop-star, other forum members, politics, or whatever, I always wonder, what could be happening instead of hate? Probably something much more positive. If you don't like the mutant fly traps so much, it's fine to not grow them, but if you're going to throw it away or kill it, why not just post it as a giveaway on the forums instead? There are probably tons of hobbyists who would love to grow these types of plants and would be over-joyed to receive one. If it's a moral hardline against mutant organisms who no longer fill their ecological niche due to man-made intervening be it through selective breeding, genetic modification, or otherwise, then there are a multitude of organisms which deserve an equally discriminating perspective as I have already mentioned previously.

Also, I wasn't aware that every "abominable" flytrap was a result of mutant TC efforts (even if it is, my point still remains due to the points that morpheus brought up).

The analogy of a headless dog is moot because we all know that animals can't survive without heads (for very long [or without life support]), whereas plants can live without portions of their leaves, especially their traps, as long as they have a means to photosynthesize and uptake nutrients and water through their roots.

I think this debate (which has occurred many times on this forum, and will re-occur many times to come) gets so heated because, for most of us, the venus flytrap was one of our first introductions to the hobby and its trapping mechanism is so clearly unique and amazing - it's easy to see why people are passionate about keeping their childhood vision of the iconic species preserved. Alas, the world is changing and people who breed plants will almost always keep and propagate the most novel of their offspring. Thus: Post #22

It's obvious that this particular discussion became heated when isults hurled at plants were internalized by people.

I imagine if someone enjoyed collecting bizarre and novel Dionaea that they would have trouble not feeling slightly insulted by the tone of this thread.

I imagine if someone enjoyed collecting bizarre and novel Dionaea that they would have trouble not feeling slightly insulted by the tone of this thread.

And I can't imagine why they would take offense. Funny how life works, isn't it?

SubRosa, it's not that they take offense to others not liking the plants, but there have been a few posts in this thread that, directly or indirectly, would also appear condescending toward those who would enjoy growing the oddball plants.
We each have our own opinions. You don't want to keep the mutants? Fine, don't. You do want to keep them? Go right ahead, however either way there's no reason to get incredibly rash about our outspoken opinions on the subject where everyone will read and, whether they should or not, possibly get offended by others hating on something they may love.

Hawkins pretty much covered it.

We get it. Some of you don't like these plants or actually hate. There's no need to belittle or talk down those that find them fascinating or desirable. What attracts you to carnivorous plants over other plants in the first place? One persons junk is another persons treasure. Does that make either of them smart or stupid or a sucker? A member of another forum came up with a label/term for such solipsistic attitudes: Not For Me so Not For Anyone (NFMsNFA).

It fascinates me that somebody would actively hunt down and pay top dollar for plants like 'Korean Melody Shark' or "Dr. No Traps".

Truly puzzling. Truly, truly puzzling........

I don't know Johnny, if I could get one in trade for what I think it's worth I would. Cruel as it sounds to some PT Barnum was right, there really is a sucker born every minute. Having one of those would make them really easy to find.

I take your point, it feels better to profit from catering to the better side of people's natures than their stupidity. But since Iook at plants as a hobby, and am also a keen student of human nature and motivation, to me trading such a plant to someone who places high value upon it would be like getting paid to watch a horror movie. And I like horror movies!

It's obvious that this particular discussion became heated when isults hurled at plants were internalized by people.

It wasn't plants being insulted

Meh...I don't really care for VFT's at all, personally. (*ducks to avoid flying objects*)

Here here, <3 NaN :water:

Hawkins pretty much covered it.

We get it. Some of you don't like these plants or actually hate. There's no need to belittle or talk down those that find them fascinating or desirable. What attracts you to carnivorous plants over other plants in the first place? One persons junk is another persons treasure. Does that make either of them smart or stupid or a sucker? A member of another forum came up with a label/term for such solipsistic attitudes: Not For Me so Not For Anyone (NFMsNFA).

It wasn't plants being insulted

Depends on your definition of a vegetable I suppose.

Another solipsism representing a slightly more nuanced view on the subject: "NFMBGEFS"
Not For Me But Good Enough For Suckers".

More insults I see. Some people just don't get it.

I like and dislike the mutant VFTs the same as other cps... On a plant by plant basis. There are some I don't care for, and others I like. Cup traps for example, I like them :) I have a tray of them on the way right now, and I'm actually really excited about having them back. :drool:

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back