User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 48 of 54

Thread: The Horror...The Horror (of Mutant Flytraps)

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't break out the scissors just yet subrosa I said I would take one not pay a out rages price for one I see all you seen in my post was money

    Morpheus I like the way you put that my feelings exactly

  2. #42
    BS Bulldozer SubRosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Don't break out the scissors just yet subrosa I said I would take one not pay a out rages price for one I see all you seen in my post was money

    Morpheus I like the way you put that my feelings exactly
    Although I admit to placing no aesthetic value to the plant , the fact that it has monetary value is the only reason I wouldn't grind one into the ground like some might. That should figure in somewhere when you judge me! Since I would derive no pleasure from growing such a plant for its own sake, I would consider caring for it a job and you would naturally want any job to pay a living wage, right? That would require my receiving an amount of money inordinate to my own estimation, so I guess we won't be doing business anytime soon. Of course since I'm currently out of stock on abominations, the point is moot. Pleasant chatting with you!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

  3. #43
    Aristoloingulamata Dexenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southern Tongass Rainforest, Alaska
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Morpheus, you iterated what I was trying to say better than I was able to.

    Any time I see people hating on anything, be it a plant, a pop-star, other forum members, politics, or whatever, I always wonder, what could be happening instead of hate? Probably something much more positive. If you don't like the mutant fly traps so much, it's fine to not grow them, but if you're going to throw it away or kill it, why not just post it as a giveaway on the forums instead? There are probably tons of hobbyists who would love to grow these types of plants and would be over-joyed to receive one. If it's a moral hardline against mutant organisms who no longer fill their ecological niche due to man-made intervening be it through selective breeding, genetic modification, or otherwise, then there are a multitude of organisms which deserve an equally discriminating perspective as I have already mentioned previously.

    Also, I wasn't aware that every "abominable" flytrap was a result of mutant TC efforts (even if it is, my point still remains due to the points that morpheus brought up).

    The analogy of a headless dog is moot because we all know that animals can't survive without heads (for very long [or without life support]), whereas plants can live without portions of their leaves, especially their traps, as long as they have a means to photosynthesize and uptake nutrients and water through their roots.

    I think this debate (which has occurred many times on this forum, and will re-occur many times to come) gets so heated because, for most of us, the venus flytrap was one of our first introductions to the hobby and its trapping mechanism is so clearly unique and amazing - it's easy to see why people are passionate about keeping their childhood vision of the iconic species preserved. Alas, the world is changing and people who breed plants will almost always keep and propagate the most novel of their offspring. Thus: Post #22
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

  4. #44
    BS Bulldozer SubRosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Thank you Morpheus, you iterated what I was trying to say better than I was able to.

    Any time I see people hating on anything, be it a plant, a pop-star, other forum members, politics, or whatever, I always wonder, what could be happening instead of hate? Probably something much more positive. If you don't like the mutant fly traps so much, it's fine to not grow them, but if you're going to throw it away or kill it, why not just post it as a giveaway on the forums instead? There are probably tons of hobbyists who would love to grow these types of plants and would be over-joyed to receive one. If it's a moral hardline against mutant organisms who no longer fill their ecological niche due to man-made intervening be it through selective breeding, genetic modification, or otherwise, then there are a multitude of organisms which deserve an equally discriminating perspective as I have already mentioned previously.

    Also, I wasn't aware that every "abominable" flytrap was a result of mutant TC efforts (even if it is, my point still remains due to the points that morpheus brought up).

    The analogy of a headless dog is moot because we all know that animals can't survive without heads (for very long [or without life support]), whereas plants can live without portions of their leaves, especially their traps, as long as they have a means to photosynthesize and uptake nutrients and water through their roots.

    I think this debate (which has occurred many times on this forum, and will re-occur many times to come) gets so heated because, for most of us, the venus flytrap was one of our first introductions to the hobby and its trapping mechanism is so clearly unique and amazing - it's easy to see why people are passionate about keeping their childhood vision of the iconic species preserved. Alas, the world is changing and people who breed plants will almost always keep and propagate the most novel of their offspring. Thus: Post #22
    It's obvious that this particular discussion became heated when isults hurled at plants were internalized by people.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

  5. #45
    Aristoloingulamata Dexenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southern Tongass Rainforest, Alaska
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine if someone enjoyed collecting bizarre and novel Dionaea that they would have trouble not feeling slightly insulted by the tone of this thread.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

  6. #46
    BS Bulldozer SubRosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I imagine if someone enjoyed collecting bizarre and novel Dionaea that they would have trouble not feeling slightly insulted by the tone of this thread.
    And I can't imagine why they would take offense. Funny how life works, isn't it?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

  7. #47
    hcarlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Posts
    3,573
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SubRosa, it's not that they take offense to others not liking the plants, but there have been a few posts in this thread that, directly or indirectly, would also appear condescending toward those who would enjoy growing the oddball plants.
    We each have our own opinions. You don't want to keep the mutants? Fine, don't. You do want to keep them? Go right ahead, however either way there's no reason to get incredibly rash about our outspoken opinions on the subject where everyone will read and, whether they should or not, possibly get offended by others hating on something they may love.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

  8. #48
    Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    7,506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawkins pretty much covered it.

    We get it. Some of you don't like these plants or actually hate. There's no need to belittle or talk down those that find them fascinating or desirable. What attracts you to carnivorous plants over other plants in the first place? One persons junk is another persons treasure. Does that make either of them smart or stupid or a sucker? A member of another forum came up with a label/term for such solipsistic attitudes: Not For Me so Not For Anyone (NFMsNFA).

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    It fascinates me that somebody would actively hunt down and pay top dollar for plants like 'Korean Melody Shark' or "Dr. No Traps".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Truly puzzling. Truly, truly puzzling........
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I don't know Johnny, if I could get one in trade for what I think it's worth I would. Cruel as it sounds to some PT Barnum was right, there really is a sucker born every minute. Having one of those would make them really easy to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I take your point, it feels better to profit from catering to the better side of people's natures than their stupidity. But since Iook at plants as a hobby, and am also a keen student of human nature and motivation, to me trading such a plant to someone who places high value upon it would be like getting paid to watch a horror movie. And I like horror movies!
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    It's obvious that this particular discussion became heated when isults hurled at plants were internalized by people.
    It wasn't plants being insulted
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •