Thread: Growing and Cloning B52 Venus Fly Traps

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Dude...

You just said in an earlier post that you were afraid people would steal your VFT's if placed outside, and yet you're putting plants outside anyway, which must mean that's a baseless claim.
    How do you know it is a baseless claim? Seems like the last time I remember somebody that had the same fears and was bullied into putting their plants outdoors where they were promptly stolen. And not a word of apology from the "dude you gotta grow them outdoors" crowd.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 07-21-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    How do you know it is a baseless claim? Seems like the last time I remember somebody that had the same fears and was bullied into put their plants outdoors where they were promptly stolen. And not a word of apology from the "dude you gotta grow them outdoors" crowd.
    Okay, you're right. I apologize....

Nevertheless, he's putting out -some- VFT's while holding others back. I don't understand the reasoning behind that, is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe that's why the plants I put outside are not looking so great. I figure the large plants would be much more tempting to steal and I would be more bummed out.

The Red Dragon and the Sundew are not as desirable as the B52s and I have many more of them.

Maybe I could work on some sort of rotation that would also allow them to feed without risking all of the plants.

Is a winter dormancy absolutely required for VFT? Won't they just keep on growing in the right conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinthetrap View Post
    M
    Maybe I could work on some sort of rotation that would also allow them to feed without risking all of the plants.

Is a winter dormancy absolutely required for VFT? Won't they just keep on growing in the right conditions?
    Sometimes you can get away with skipping the first dormancy (if they're pullings made late in the year, or possibly 1st year seedling ((someone else will have to correct me on that)))

Otherwise, as far as I know, yes, VFT's -MUST- have a winter dormancy in order to continue growing properly. I've heard of mature VFT's that were kept active during dormancy weakening and dying late in the next year.

Rotation is a bad idea. Moving a plant from artificial light, to sunlight...back to artificial, back to sunlight, is going to play havoc with them. I doubt the plant would have enough time to get hardened to the sunlight, and you'd likely only end up killing off the leaves due to shock.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a winter dormancy absolutely required for VFT?
    Under the assumption that this is a legitimate question. Yes, absolutely. You may skip it and grow your plant as a tropical but you can expect it to get weaker each year until it eventually withers away.

Won't they just keep on growing in the right conditions?
    They will, but they will suffer in the long run. The only exception to this rule seems to be recently germinated VFT seedlings, who could stand to skip the first dormancy to put on some size.

--Addendum--
    I understand that a seed from a B52 does not a B52 make.

Symbioses is not the right word, but it was beneficial for those maggots.

Can someone confirm that these are VFT seedlings?

Didn't see anyone else respond to this. I can tell you now that those are not VFT seedlings. Sorry!
    Last edited by ErrorEN; 07-21-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard of people buying fake seeds on eBay, and they were only 80 cents.

I'll let the seedlings develop, but they don't look right to me either

So during the winter I shouldn't use any extra lights in the window?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never buy seeds from eBay or Amazon or etsy or Alibaba
    ...etc especially Chinese sellers the seeds are fake.

What part of mass do u live cause im in MA and i grow bunch of plants and you can't keep them outside year round unless u want them dead or frozen. And if ur not far i will gladly ride my broken down scooter to your place and help u get a good set up for your vfts so they don't die!

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my VFTs outdoors year round in zone 5. Michigan. That said, they are in ground, and I mulch the bejesus out of them every fall. They do fine.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast