User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VFT care question (Brown to black)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oy vey...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief!
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    Ive been growing cps since i was 13 im almost 30, i didn't say everything you read online is true i simply said I've read info on people doing experiments online with healthier choices of good (I'll have to find the link its a very interesting read) the fact is this is a weak plant and im giving my knowledge on how i Handle the situation personally. I've done plenty of research and share what i read with others but i never claimed that that is the right way and everyone else is wrong.
    Most of the posts you've created here have been bewildering requests for help in assessing the various ailments your plants suffer from. Most of the queries indicate an obvious disregard for the cultivation requirements for whatever genus is sick this time. Its my impression that your growing skills are lacking and that you seem not to have a very good grasp of how to care for many of the plants you acquire, and you don't heed the advice you're given. Is it any wonder your advice to others is coming into question??

As far as this Dionaea discussion is concerned, you are offering a lot of very poor advice that will only serve to mislead and confuse the OP. Enough already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my posts here are about plants that had issues when given or purchased by me or others and most not from my doing, i like everyone else uses this site to share knowledge and absorb it from others. Im not offering advice that hasnt been proved to work in my favor or others. And i ad information that others have posted or discussed elsewhere from a variety of experiments done by myself and other people, i didn't say THIS IS RIGHT YOU ARE ALL WRONG..BLAH BLAH BLAH! Im sharing my information and what works well in the same situation I've dealt with with the same species of plant. They can either take my information and run with it ir let it go in one ear and out the other... That's their choice but to automatically put someone down and Everything they say without even taking what im saying and the plants health into consideration and judging by how many VFT plants i have that are living and thriving perfectly fine with my care. If i was naive then id be asking for help with my VFTs on here aswell, cause that's what this is for to share and receive knowledge with others and share the love of the species of CPs and other plants in this site with others and post photos. Their is not Just one way to care for a plant. If their was then everyone would be wrong based on their locations what Works for their locations...etc..etc..

Here are a few of the links i was talking about, theirs others but i don't wanna serf around for them right now:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/venusflytrap.html

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/vf...ent-t3276.html

Enjoy.
    Last edited by KATastrophe; 08-20-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not offering advice that hasnt been proved to work in my favor or others. And i ad information that others have posted or discussed elsewhere from a variety of experiments done by myself and other people, i didn't say THIS IS RIGHT YOU ARE ALL WRONG..BLAH BLAH BLAH!
    And yet you offer gems like this piece of baloney:

If u feed more then 3 a week or so the plant could die.
    Queue eyeroll.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 08-20-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was derived from here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2540.html
    Barry Rice's experiment was on a VFT that wasn't given any feeding for a whole year prior, though, and then fed on every trap.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And i ad information that others have posted or discussed elsewhere from a variety of experiments done by myself and other people
    A plant deprived of prey for an extended amount of time and then bloated with prey in every trap certainly doesn't represent the norm, and cultivation advice shouldn't be given off of that. B. Rice's experiment and other such experiments show us that excessively feeding a plant that was starved for a period will cause it to abort growth (not even kill it, mind you). These experiments do not show us that excessively feeding a normal plant (or even a stressed plant from a department store) will kill it, and they certainly don't allow us to come up with numbers like "3 traps a week". The statement "avoid feeding a stressed plant excessively" can be made, the statement "feeding a VFT more than 3 times a week can kill it" CANNOT be made. This gives the impression that any VFT fed over 3 times a week is in mortal peril, and although the statement was probably made in reference to a weakened plant, such advice is very confusing to beginner growers and helps propagate more hearsay and false information on the internet.

Frankly, it's irritating and upsetting that beginner growers often fall victim to these sorts of "plant rumors" (especially when enhanced by statistics - who isn't convinced by solid numbers?) and thus attribute their problems to them while ignoring the most important aspects of cultivation. So many people (including research greenhouse staff at several respectable universities) are caught up on the hype of "don't feed more than X amount in one week" that they totally ignore the issue of getting their plant out of that stagnant terrarium and into enough light. These false bits of information are very gimmicky and are quite good at convincing people that growing carnivorous plants revolves only around feeding them, and not around just treating them like plants with specific requirements.
    Last edited by SerMuncherIV; 08-20-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    Frankly, it's irritating and upsetting that beginner growers often fall victim to these sorts of "plant rumors" (especially when enhanced by statistics - who isn't convinced by solid numbers?) and thus attribute their problems to them while ignoring the most important aspects of cultivation. *edit* These false bits of information are very gimmicky and are quite good at convincing people that growing carnivorous plants revolves only around feeding them, and not around just treating them like plants with specific requirements.
    Exactly. There's so much bad cultivation "information" being promoted and shared (especially here in TF, sadly) that leads many new growers completely down The Rabbit Hole, from which they may never return. Rumors, hearsay, anecdote and fantasy are poor substitutes for genuine care info written by people who have years of experience cultivating their chosen genera.

Kat, if you were as skilled at collating superior cultivation information as you are at dispensing and defending the pointless, misleading junk information you're so free with, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But honestly - I've come to think you don't care what is being said as long as the attention - either positive or negative - is focused on you.

To the TF reader in general: do yourself a huge favor and acquire a copy of The Savage Garden. 95% of everything you need to know for success with most genera is provided in clear, concise detail in that book. Peter does not offer care suggestions unless he has personal experience informing him to do so. You will not be misled by a good book written by an experienced grower.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to feed my Flytrap four insects, just to watch the plant roll over and croak. *sarcasm*

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast