User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VFT care question (Brown to black)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VFT care question (Brown to black)

I recently just started to take care my 1st VFT. Had a great time feeding for the first time since it was store bought from HD. Now after I fed it i wanted it to get used to the California sun with enough shade on it. So after a few days after i fed my boy, some of the traps turned black and some turn brown. So heres my main question should i cut them of or just let them be since some of them still have the feed inside and is it normal for them to turn brown to black just like that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you feed it??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could just be the plant acclimating to a new environment...but please tell me that you didn't give it something silly like hamburger meat. Cut the brown/black parts off, they won't do the plant any good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many traps did u feed. If u feed more then 3 a week or so the plant could die. Id also check if roots are hanging out of the bottom of the pot vfts don't like wet roots all the time. And it could be acclimating to ur temp but could also be ur watering with the wrong water aswell. Could u post a picture and give us more info thanks Goodluck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than three a week and the plant could die, where do you get this misinformation, all my plants outside would of fed themselves to death long ago

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    More than three a week and the plant could die, where do you get this misinformation, all my plants outside would of fed themselves to death long ago
    Agreed. Most of my plants outside have all of their traps closed most of the time. A healthy VFT can handle a large amount of prey; feeding a weak one that much will cause the traps to blacken and fungus to break out, but plants in such a pitiful state are already on the path to dying and succumb to poor cultivation rather than overfeeding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    If u feed more then 3 a week or so the plant could die.
    Absolutely untrue. I have plants that regularly have 80% of their traps loaded with insects.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    Agreed. Most of my plants outside have all of their traps closed most of the time. A healthy VFT can handle a large amount of prey; feeding a weak one that much will cause the traps to blacken and fungus to break out, but plants in such a pitiful state are already on the path to dying and succumb to poor cultivation rather than overfeeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Absolutely untrue. I have plants that regularly have 80% of their traps loaded with insects.
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    All this. It is nearly impossible to naturally overfeed a plant, for a flytrap to get nitrogen burn you have to stuff it with nitrogen rich food. Outdoor bugs just can't do that, generally it is something like bloodworms with a high nitrogen content, which of course must be manually fed. Veronis did a little write up on this subject on another forum.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast