Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I'm certain I haven't got enough space in my fridge to store them for the winter, since I share it with 3 other guys.
    I don't know about the temperatures, either, so I guess we'll just have to see if somebody with more knowledge comes along and helps. In the mean-time, if they don't go dormant in the terrarium, I do have a couple ideas on getting them through their dormancy just fine. What if I pulled the larger, more mature plants out of the terrarium and put them in pots in an insulated box outside with a mild heat-source? As for lighting, The box I'm thinking of has a 10-inch circle cut in the top, so I could use a couple panes of Plexiglass to close it up, but still let light in. I live in Idaho near the Tetons so the weather gets quite cold during the winter. The temperature is normally below freezing from late December through February.
    Last edited by Trout; 10-16-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres info you could read up on from Venus' Fly Trap, Venus Flytrap, Venus's Flytrap growing

Quote from CARE SECTION: " Venus' Fly Traps are perennials that form bulbs. They are winter hardy from about Maryland, southward. If you plan on growing the plant outdoors in this region, sink the pot or container in the ground to help prevent rapid temperature fluctuations. A winter layer of pine needle mulch, three inches deep, may help in areas that are borderline for hardiness. North of zone 7, keep the flytraps protected from deep freeze during the winter. A cool window, garage, root cellar, or basement can work. Winter storage temperatures should range from about 30-50F. This cold rest will satisfy the plant's need to go dormant or "sleep" through the winter. Leaves may die back during winter dormancy. Though awkward terrarium plants, due to light and dormancy requirements; it is possible to grow them in a terrarium if the plants are kept 4-7 inches from fluorescent lights (see terrarium page in web site for details on lighting), and cold dormancy temperatures are provided. Do not freeze terrariums or the glass may break!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Those definitely look like Fall traps, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the plants are going to go into dormancy if left alone. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think temperature -does- play a part in their dormancy cycle, as well as photo-period. If nothing else, keeping them too warm during dormancy, coupled with the moisture of the soil, will be likely to induce mold / fungus, even if you've never had issues with it before.

I'd be interested to know how safe it would be for the VFT's to put them directly into the fridge from a terrarium setting for dormancy. All of mine, however, are outdoors, so they should go into dormancy naturally and not be bothered when I bag them up for the winter.
    Temperature doesn't play too much of a role, I think it's mostly light, in December we still had 80 and mine stayed dormant until the first week of Feb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id say this could be very true as mine are on the same light as day and night in my area and they are already starting to produce their winter leaves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12